Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what is the biggest and baddest handgun made >

what is the biggest and baddest handgun made

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what is the biggest and baddest handgun made

Old 07-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what is the biggest and baddest handgun made

I think the baddest one would have to be the Freedom Arms .45-70! Actually, I have heard that the recoil is not as bad as a lot of people percieve it to really be (same with the .500 S & W), because the guns weigh in at close to 6 pounds anyway. Put a good scope on that, plus a full cylinder of ammo, and the gun could come close to tipping the 7 pound mark, or a little less maybe. I wouldn't mind trying out one of those Freedom Arms, but pocket book says "no!!" Dangit!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow! 7 lb revolver? Might as well carry a lever action
Old 07-03-2004, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I'm sure it could come pretty close anyway. The Smith and Wesson .500 Magnum can weigh 5.125 pounds for the heaviest model. A Leupold EER Pistol Scope weighs 6 oz., which is .375 pounds, then add the ammo weight, and that comes to over 5.5 pounds for that revolver. I couldn't find any info on the Freedom Arms .45-70, I know I saw one in the gun shop the other day, but it doesn't appear that they manufacture it anymore according to their website. [] And what does a lever action weigh?
Old 07-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Typical Buck

as far as recoil, I'd also have to go with the Derringer in 45/70. But for caliber, I'd also have to go with the Encore in 375H&H. Another one to that'll certainly get your attention is the Encore in 450 Marlin. I bought that barrel used because it was very cheap. After shooting it a few times, I realized why it was cheap. Even with the muzzle-tamer, it'd get your full attention.lol
Old 07-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Go to http://www.magnumresearch.com/ and they make the BFR (Biggest Finest Revolver) They make it from a .22 hornet to a .450 marlin. They have videos at http://www.magnumfilms.com/magsOwn.html of people shooting them.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're talking about PRODUCTION handguns, I think the nod goes to the T/C Encore pistol. T/C makes pistol barrels chambered in rifle cartridges up to .375 H&H I believe. Magnum Research also makes their BFR in .45-70, which with 500gr hardcast bullets would be a real handful.

And if those don't beat you up bad enough, I'm sure there are a half dozen custom barrel makers/gunsmiths that'd ream an Encore barrel to whatever cartridge you feel masochistic enough to try. Or you could get a Class III permit from the BATFE and saw off a SxS 10 gauge to about 8" and then drop both hammers on two 3" 2-1/4oz. loads. That'll more than get your attention. Or maybe a .50BMG in a 10" or so barrel without a brake...just make sure your insurance (health and life) are paid up, 'cause you'll need one or the other when you're done.

I personally am quite fond of the .454 Casull, and will be hunting with mine come fall. With 250gr bullets and sub-Max loads it's not unbearable to put 50 rounds through it in an afternoon (did it today with mine). The .454 Casull is, realistically, all the handgun one should ever really need. If the critters you're hunting are big and mean enough to need more power than a full-tilt 300gr .454 Casull can provide, then IMO you should leave the pistol at home and hunt with a rifle.

I've shot the .500S&W and while I'm impressed with its power while still retaining decent shootability, I believe that most non-handloaders can't afford to shoot the thing enough to master it, and there is no option for a lower powered alternative cartridge for economy practice/plinking for the .500S&W (like the .45 Colt is for the .454 Casull). Reduced power loads are also problematic because of the extremely large case capacity resulting in very low load density and possible pressure excursions.

Mike