Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Refinishing Question >

Refinishing Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Refinishing Question

Old 06-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Refinishing Question

I recently purchased a used Remington SP10. It is the matte metal/wood gun. I am wanting to refinish both the wood and the metal. I am familiar with stripping and refinishing wood,so the stock and forend won't be a problem. My question is this, are there any ways to refinish the metal at home and still get good results? I cold blued a gun years ago and the results were mediocre at best. Does the fact that the gun is finished in that rough/matte finish matter? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Refinishing Question

IMO.....no.....hot bluing is the only way to refinish a gun so it looks good other than a total different type of finish such as painting, plating, teflon coating, parkerizing...and many folks aren't too keen on the looks of them.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:27 PM
bigcountry

I tried cold blueing at home several times. Never works out for me. Can't get consistent blueing to saves my life. I end up just getting it hot blued. Doesn't cost that much.

Old 06-30-2004, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

are there any ways to refinish the metal at home and still get good results?
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want a rifle that looks professionally finished it needs to be hot blued by a professional. No other way about it.

Cold blueing is for touch up only. Even if they claim that you can do an entire gun it will not look like a factory finished gun and you will have wasted a lolt of time farting around with it.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you like the matte then whatever you do to it (metal finish) it will be in matte.
The only way to get a highly polished sheen is for the gunsmith who does the blue-job to put a professional buff, burnish and polish on the metal BEFORE the blue-job is done (please be careful when pronouncing blue-job)
Old 06-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for the info. I pretty much figured that I would have to have someone do it for me, doesn't hurt to ask though. A friend of mine told me his buddy could bead blast it for me for $40.00 or less. That is probably what I am going to do since I want to stay with a matte finish. Thanks again for your quick replies.