Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New Weatherby Mark V synthetic >

New Weatherby Mark V synthetic

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Weatherby Mark V synthetic

Old 04-09-2004, 03:18 PM

Default New Weatherby Mark V synthetic

I found a deal I couldn't pass up! I was planning to buy a Tikka T3 .243, but when I saw this rifle online for $571 plus shipping I decided to go for it. I could be wrong, but I believe this model normally goes for $900 to $1000. Weatherby lists the msrp at $1057. The only caliber available at this price was 30.06, but I can live with this proven caliber. Does anyone have this rifle and could recommend the best factory round? What do you think of my purchase? Joe
Old 04-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Weatherby Mark V synthetic

You have the MK V lightweight which is chambered in std calibers as well as the 240 wthby and after looking at the weatherby website they indeed list it as 1057 which Is way high for a list price much higher then a Remington,Winchester type gun . The price you paid is right in line with what I paid for mine 3 years ago though in fact it may be a couple of bucks lower. I bought a 270win model and had problems with the bolt operation almost immediately and finally returned it to Weatherby who replaced the gun with a 280 as per my request. No problems with the 280 and Weatherbys CS is top notch very very good. In defense of the rifle it was one of the first to hit our area and the price was attractive thats why I bought it. The 270 and 280 were very accurate rifles and I find the barrellled action incredibly light and attractive which bedded in a lightweight fiberglass stock would be a super mountain rifle with a 24" tube. You'll have to get special bases for it since the reciever is a smaller diameter then the fullsize MK V. YOu bought a good gun and weatherby will back it up . The std magnums(7rem 300 win 338) and std regular caliber(270win,06,280) Weatherbys shoot extremely well it is a little known secret and probably caused by lack of the freebore the Big weatherbies have. Good Luck
Old 04-09-2004, 09:31 PM

Joenhawaii, Sounds like you got a good price on an excellent rifle. I shouldered one of those a couple of weeks ago at Cabelas and could not believe how good it felt. I am interested it the possibility of getting one myself self.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You obtained a very good deal. Good luck with your new rifle!!
Old 04-10-2004, 01:03 AM

Treehawk, I bought it at thegunsource.com. This link should take you there if your interested. Joe

http://www.thegunsource.com/shopping...ory=5&offset=0
Old 04-13-2004, 06:12 PM

I thought you all might like to know that thegunsource.com is trying to renig on my purchase. They have since raised the price to $896 and are telling me that the rifle "is out of stock and they don't know when or if they will have it again". My wife, who is an attorney, is looking into whether or not they can be forced to sell me this rifle at the agreed upon price. In order to make the purchase I had to check a box agreeing that this was a contract under the "Digital Signature Act of 1999". I believe this should apply to both parties. Does anyone have experience with this or maybe some advice on how to handle the situation?
Old 04-14-2004, 04:57 PM

Sounds like they're playing games with you. I saw Weatherby rifles for sale at a really low price in the cdnn investments magazine but they list in small print "box labled 2nd" yikes! Doesn't sound to promising to me, I mean the prices are well below retail, what's wrong with them? Check out there catalog, order one for free at http://cdnninvestments.com
Old 04-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

joenhawaii Keep us posted as to what happens? I would like to buy the same model Weatherby chambered in 280-Remington.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:26 PM

Wolf Killer,
They have yet to respond to my emails. I noticed they have the same rifle in .308 with 20" barrel for the same price, so I placed an order for that one instead. If I get the same response then I will have a little better case for false advertisement. If they have it, then I guess I still got a great deal and I think the .308 will work better for me anyway. Maybe I will have some leverage to get a good deal on a Tikka T3 laminated/stainless at the very least.