Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I want an explosive bullet when it hits the deer! >

I want an explosive bullet when it hits the deer!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I want an explosive bullet when it hits the deer!

Old 02-14-2002, 07:48 PM

Default RE: I want an explosive bullet when it hits the deer!

thats a big 10/4 with ballistic u haveto aim for shoulder cause through the nck u will only leave to small holes if i am correst so its bone or i long day trackin!! right
Old 02-15-2002, 12:39 AM

Greets,
pabuckhunter, that is the fundamental problem with the BT's, I have seen two hits personally, the hip shot ruined all the haunches, the chest hit didnt ruin much fortunately. BUT His question was for an EXPLOSIVE bullet, what I have seen, and if you read the posts I am sure you know most others will at least agree that the BT's are explosive. I actually let those posts change my thinking I plan to load something else when I begin reloading my own bullets.

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
Old 02-15-2002, 06:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-15-2002, 07:24 PM

what is the diffrence would u rather the bullet shatter of explode i mean the BT isn't going to do anything unless it hits bone, i amust wondeing what kinda impact does a Soft point have?????
Old 02-15-2002, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ballistic tips do expand EVEN WHEN THEY DON'T HIT BONE.The reason some people don't like them is that they expand more than most other bullets and sometimes damage more meat.
Old 02-16-2002, 12:10 AM

Greets again,
Well, a BT will expand more violently that a soft point regardless of bone or no bone.
As for the soft point question, the only SP I have fired was 204gr and it hit bone too, but it blew the begeesuz outta the deer.

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
Old 02-16-2002, 07:30 AM

Try 300 grain JHP in your favorite 45-70. Your not going to get much more explosive than that. Consider the fact that these rounds are already close to half an inch in diameter BEFORE expansion! Most of the rounds that have been mentioned are lucky to get that size AFTER hitting.
If your range is going to be within 200 yards you're not going to find much better.
Old 02-16-2002, 08:26 AM

I have been using BT for a long time. 30-02, 270, 243. Nosler BT, Hornday SST, Winchester Ballistic Siver Tips. All bring down deer and hogs in a few paces. As alot have said, the key is a good shot. I had a quartering away shot. Blew the hind quarter away, but found out that my scope was broken and wouldn't hold a zero sitting in the case! Not the bullets falt, it was all me!! You can't get much more explosive than the BT. Also, I've shot nothing more accurate in factory loads.

When you go with Boat Tails or Patitions, you need more pressure to expand (more meat or bone). Save those for really big deer, moose, elk, etc.

Just my opinion, but its based on experience and alot of reading.
Old 02-16-2002, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Brian Mc -Ballistic tips are boattails.
Old 02-16-2002, 10:20 AM

My bad. Your right. Brain-fart!

Quick Reply: I want an explosive bullet when it hits the deer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.