Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Model 700 laminate stainless upgrades? >

Model 700 laminate stainless upgrades?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Model 700 laminate stainless upgrades?

Old 02-09-2004, 10:29 AM

Default Model 700 laminate stainless upgrades?

Trying to determine if it makes more sense to purchase a lefty Model 700 laminate stainless and upgrade instead of sinking $1600 to $2000 into a Custom KS Mtn rifle or HS Precision. I can pick up the 700 LSS for around $700. Changes include a Mcmillan or HS stock, pillar bedding job, float the barrel and a trigger job. Am I missing anything?
Old 02-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Model 700 laminate stainless upgrades?

Laminated stocks are very good. They are very stable and only slightly heavier than comosite stocks. If you keep the factory stock and have the rifle bedded and the barrel free floated. You can adjust the factory trigger and you will probably have a trusty accurate rifle to last the rest or your life.

If you decide on a stock change go with the McMillan over the H-S Precision. With all the things you want to have done you will probably come close to the $1600 dollar cost of the custom KS. So savings over buying the KS will be minimal. Either way you go if you decide to sale the rifle you will not get much more for it than if you just had the standard 700 LSS up for sale. That is the way most custom guns go.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:52 PM

I would be willing to bet if you just adjust the trigger and take some time and find a good bullet the LSS likes you will get all the accuracy you want. Most rifles i have ever shot were accurate once you played with the trigger and found a good load for it. Try that first before you go dumping alot of money on a new stock. Unless you just want a new stock...lol
Old 02-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

New KS will be in the 1300 dollar range give or take...I have had a couple and probably won't order another..not that they are not a good gun and shoot well which they do...its they tend to be a little too light in the calibers I have chosenl . They hold their value very well and always have if they are in good condition...Look at the various auction sites if you want one like that... If not just buy the lss have the trigger adjusted(if needed) and then see how it shoots. If I had a good laminate stock I would be reluctant to go the Mcmillan or HS route...i doubt seriously the gun will shoot any better and those 2 are not exactly lightweight stocks. The KS stock is made by Mcmillan but it is considerably lighter then their regular models.