Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 700 classic or Savage >

700 classic or Savage

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

700 classic or Savage

Old 02-07-2004, 10:26 PM

Default 700 classic or Savage

I'm planning on getting a new rifle and today my options compounded.I had pretty much decided on one of the Savage offerings in 7mm-08 and wandered into a local gunshop to find that they still had brand new 700 classic in 7mm-08.The 7-08 700 Classic was available during 2001year only. This gun is selling for $550, but will probably need some trigger work done.This is about $135 more than what I can pick up a Savage for.The Savage will have an Accuetrigger and I could use the extra 135 bucks toward some good optics.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Doug
Old 02-07-2004, 10:40 PM

Default RE: 700 classic or Savage

I had a very good friend from work get one of the 700 classics in 7mm-08. I do not know if he got a lemon or if that was the quality of the firearms put out by Remington at that time. First off like you said, it needed trigger work. He took the gun to the range and could not get under 2.5" group at 100 yard. I have personnally seen him shoot one ragged hole with his .243win so I would say that it is not the shooter. He tried factory and about every combination of bullet weight/brand and powder combination and still could not get better then 2" groups at 100 yds. he then had the action bedded and barrel free floated which made no difference, he then had barrel tip pressure added and that did not help. I do not know if he ever got rid of the gun. Having heard stories about Savage out of box accuracy, I would go with the Savage and spend the difference in gun price and trigger job on a nice peice of glass.

Mark
Old 02-07-2004, 10:45 PM

I second the motion! What model Savage were you looking at? Whichever it is you'll love it. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd buy tyhe Remington classic in a heartbeat.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:56 AM
Host of Hosts

I just happen to have a 700 Classic in 7mm-08. I will tell you that I had no trigger work done,however I did glass bed the action myself and it shoots good groups. I did have problems with factory ammo, but my handload works great. If I do my job it shoots under 1.25 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I have personally NEVER seen a Remington shoot the groups described above. I do have to add that I've always been a big fan of Savages too. So I'm not just defending Remingtons due to a bias opinion. I guess I didn't help you a bit.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:30 AM

I'm really thinking about getting the Savage Sierra. It's a lightweight gun at about 6 1/4 pounds and it also has a 20'' bbl. It's actually a gun meant to compete with the model 7. I'm wanting this gun for multi use --coyotes,whitetails,and a possible trip for elk in the next year or two.I'd actually love something in 260 remington , but Savage no longer offers this caliber. I know that some are wondering why the 7-08 or 260. I've just always been fond of small cartridges that give big reasults (I love the 28 ga. for everything from doves to pointed wild pheasants).The only real drawback to the Savage is that it's just so dadgum ugly. Then again, the critter on the other end doesn't know or care where the bullet came from, it's just sorry it came at all.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had the Remington in 7mm-08 and it shot great. It has a good adjustable trigger so that should be no problem. I would never discourage anyone from getting a Savage. They are even better now with the accu-trigger.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about the 7MM-08 but i have a Remington Classic in 25.06 and it was a good shooter out of the box. I later had the action bedded, barrel floated amd did a trigger job on it but i do that to all my rifles to improve on accuracy. I find the Remington trigger to be very adjustable and a really good trigger once you tweek them to the lbs you want. I would buy the Remington and wouldn't think twice about it but i also have a Savage in the safe thats a great shooter too and that would be my second choice.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:47 PM

Do your self a faver and get the savage you whant be disaponted I like remington and I own them but doller for doller the savage is a loy more gun for the mony I have a savage 110 30/06 and 90 persent of the time my 700 stays at home just my 2 cets werth
Old 02-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go for the Rem. Model 700 Classic. Good luck

Quick Reply: 700 classic or Savage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.