Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which Leupold Scope? VXIII OR VXII >

Which Leupold Scope? VXIII OR VXII

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Leupold Scope? VXIII OR VXII

Old 01-30-2004, 06:11 PM

Default Which Leupold Scope? VXIII OR VXII

I'm undecided which scope to mount on my model 700 remington 30.06 I know it's going to be a Leupold, I'm just not sure what model:
3-9x40 VXII, 2.5-8x36 VXIII, or the 3.5-10x50 VXIII. I'm not sure if the difference between the VXIII and the VXII is worth the extra money or not. The 50mm I'm worried, I'll have to raise the mounts, I have low mounts now. I don't want to raise the mounts, I like shooting low mounts. I'm getting the rifle ready for an upcoming bear hunt. I know I'll be shooting in low light conditions, I'm not sure if the 50 really gathers that much more light to make it worth it. I also want the gun set up for caribou and elk. I use a 7400 Remington 30.06 with a fixed 4 Leupold scope for deer, and it works great. On my 11-87 Remington shotgun and my TC Black Diamond Blackpower they each have a 2.5 M8 Leupold which works well.
I guess to sum it up, is the VXIII worth the extra money and does the 50mm objective gather a lot more light than the 40mm or 36mm and will it fit with low mounts?...thanks for any help!
Old 01-30-2004, 07:03 PM

Default RE: Which Leupold Scope? VXIII OR VXII

Pace Maker I have owned both & now have switched all over to the Vari X III! Yes they are worth the extra cost!
Old 01-30-2004, 07:05 PM

Hi Pace Maker!

According to the Leupold website, w/ a Rem. 700 and the 3.5x10x50mm, you are going to need the high rings to mount the 50mm objective scope so you can throw the idea of using low rings out the window. If you want to keep the scope mounted as low as possible, I would go with the VXIII 3.5x10x40mm or the VXII 3x9x40mm depending on the amount of money you want to drop. Is the VXIII worth the extra $200? That's entirely up to the individual and what your needs are. But you won't be shortchanging yourself if you go the VXII route, they are excellent scopes now since Leupold upgraded them with Multicoat 4 exterior lenses and click adjustments. With either scope you'll have a winner!
Old 01-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

50mm will gather a bit more light in low light conditions,but you will need medium or high mounts.As far as vxII or vxIII I would opt for the vxII in the 3x9.The vx III has slightly better optics but I would buy the vxII.Ihave been using them for years and they are a great scope.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

First off if you want to stay with the low mounts you'll have to get a 40mm. The difference between the VXIII is index matched len coating (Light transmission higher, brighter and clear than the VXII), finger adjustable windage/elavation & fast eye focus on all VXIII. Some other features can be had as well that the VXII does not offer (optional). Personally I would opt to spend the extra on the VXIII, but the man with the check book must decide in the end.

Good Luck
Old 01-30-2004, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with theLeupold VX-III 3.5-10x40. Go to www.riflescopes.com they are having a sale on Leupold scopes. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:24 AM

Thanks for the replies, I now know the 50mm scope is out of the picture. I will most likely go with the VXIII 3.5x10x40. Thanks again for all the help!