Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington Sendero in 7mm remington >

Remington Sendero in 7mm remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington Sendero in 7mm remington

Old 12-30-2003, 01:37 PM

Default Remington Sendero in 7mm remington

Hey everyone...

Need some advice/ thoughts on the Remington Sendero. I already own a 7mm BDL which I love to death...and a model 70 in 300 weatherby that I have to mortgage my house to shoot. But I have booked my first trip to Montana for Oct. 2004. I was thinking of rebuilding my current 7mm, but after pricing out a new stock, adjustable trigger, heavy barrel, etc... I have come to the conclusion that a Sendero seems to be the way to go...anyone have any comparable rifles they might suggest? Cost is not an issue, weight is not an issue, My only requirements is a rock solid, flat shooting gun with energy out to 450 - 500 yds.

Thanks for the time,

Frankie
Old 12-30-2003, 02:08 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Remington Sendero in 7mm remington

Shoot man, if cost isn't a issue. Buy a good barrel from Dan Lilja or Krieger, buy yourself a good stock from McMillian or H-S. A good trigger from Jewel, and take the whole thing to a good smith to be rebarreled, restocked, bedded, and the lugs lapped in, and your got yourself a shooter.

Old 12-30-2003, 02:40 PM

Thats where I am befuddled right now...I can spend a $1500.00-$2000.00 building my old 7mm... or spend that $1500-$2000.00 and come out with a new 7mm and scope...and still have comparable accuracy to whatever I build,hence the problem i am having with making a decision...
Old 12-30-2003, 03:05 PM
bigcountry

You know i have built two rifles. Well, my gunsmith has. And I really don't regret it. Rifle mag has an interesting article by john barshness about custom rifles. He said if all your looking for is accuracy, go out and buy three rifles, and keep the one that shoots the best and most likely you will find a submoa shooter out of the three and sell the other two. Sure, your going to eat some money but be ahead money wise than having one built. Also, once I was very disappointed with the accuracy of my custom.

But if you are looking for a guarntee of accuracy, and have 2400+ to spend, I am sure Melvin Forbes, Gentry, or Jarrett will be able to fit the bill. I want submoa accuracy, but also am looking for features. Like I would love to have an ultralight from Melvin forbes. Or a bueutiful walnut stock from hill country. But if accuracy is all you want, I am sure One Shot on here could help you with the original gun. Maybe refit the barrel, recut the headspace, cut a new crown, lap the lugs, possibly pillar bed or glass bed. You would still be ahead money wise.

I also have the custom bug. I look at those gorgeous customs with thier beutiful walnut stocks, fancy butt plates, custom engraved bolt handles, and wish I had one. I then come to reality and say, "I would never shoot the thing". I have been looking closely at New Ultra Light Arms. Lightness is a feature he sells.

Old 12-30-2003, 03:13 PM
bigcountry

I was just reading on Hill country rifles webpage, they guarntee submoa groups for 325dollars with your current rifle. Pretty good deal. I don't know anyone that has used their service but its not bad. Their rebarrelling service is pricey. I rebarreled a rem 700 with a krieger barrel for 400. check out thier webpage.

Old 12-31-2003, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go for a custom 7mm STW from Morrison Precision. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-31-2003, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

BigBuckLuckNJ
I live I hunt in Montana, I own a Remington Sendero 7mm-STW topped with a Leupold Vari X-III 6.5 x 20 x 40mm. I bought the 40mm objective because a 50mm objective is too large to fit in most scabards.
If you are going to hunt Deer or Antelope? I would recommend the 7mm-STW topped with a good scope.
If you are going to hunt Elk? I recommend you just use the 7mm & scope that you have. Provided your current scope will hold zero you will be fine. 99% of your shots at elk will be inside of 200-yards. If you spot elk farther away than 200-yards you can almost always put the sneak on them.

I almost forgot to mention that my Sendero shoots 1/2-inch groups.[:-]
Good luck,
Old 12-31-2003, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used to shoot a 700rem in 7mmremmag myself.I then had a custom 7mmstw built on a stainless 700 action with match grade barrel and mcmillan stock.I liked it so much that I had a second one built as a spare.Out of curiosity I had an identical rifle built in 300 ultramag and liked it so much that I hade a second one made for a spare.I now have two custom 7mmstw's that are used for deer ,sheep and pronghorn and two 300ultramags for use on moose and elk.All four of these rifles average 1/2" groups and the average cost was about $2500 canadian.There were all topped with 3.5x10x40 leupolds then 3x9x40 ziess conquests(brighter) and presently(and finally)3x10x42 swarovski's for even more clarity and brightness.As you can see custom rifles can get to be an obsession if you are not careful.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:07 PM

Do yourself a favor and buy the Remington Sendero in 7mmSTW. It will most definately shoot 1/2 MOA groups @100yds. I have one in 25-06 and a friend has one in 7mmSTW. They are both very,very accurate. Top it off with a Zeiss or Swarovski. I have a 4x12x50 Swarovski on mine and i love it. I paid under $800 for it here in NC. The only work i have done to mine is lightening the trigger a little. Oh yeah and handload. You could pay alot more for a custom,but i'm telling ya the Sendero is as accurate as any gun i have ever seen, and it doesn't cost $2000 to $3000. Good luck on your choice.

P.S. I'm not knocking any custom gun makers, I would love to have a custom myself.

Quick Reply: Remington Sendero in 7mm remington

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.