Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ways to make a poor man's wildcat rifle??? >

Ways to make a poor man's wildcat rifle???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ways to make a poor man's wildcat rifle???

Old 12-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ways to make a poor man's wildcat rifle???

I would like to build a 358-Shooting Times Alaskan. I have looked on the internet for a used 358-STA but with no luck. The only used 358-STA's I have found are way out of my price range.

I would like to know what would be the cheapest way to have one built? Can I just buy a 7mm-STW & have it rebarreled & rechambered to 358-STA?

Thanks,
Old 12-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ways to make a poor man's wildcat rifle???

I would like to know what would be the cheapest way to have one built? Can I just buy a 7mm-STW & have it rebarreled & rechambered to 358-STA?
Yes! You could even have it REBORED to .358 STA and have the chamber re-throated for .35 cal.!! NO NEED for a complete rebarrellinbg job!! This would cost less than a complete new barrel, etc.!

(IF you did rebarrel, you would NOT be rechambering, since the new .358" barrel would have no chamber initially.....)
Old 12-28-2003, 08:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not sure what you are talking about doing eldeguello but to have a barrel re bored from 7mm to 358 would be an astronomical cost. You would have to completely ream out the bore and rerifle it to boot then chamber it to 358STA.

About the cheapest way to make a 358 STA would be to find yourself a used gun with a magnum length action, (375 H&H length not 300 WM length) or a magnum length action alone,and have a new barrel chamberd for 358 STA fitted to the action. You don't really need to spend the money on a new rifle since you only need the action and the barrel that you will be tossing will have the brunt of the wear.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:50 PM

I agree with Big Bulls. Reboring a barrel would be very expensive.