Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anybody shoot the ultracorelok slugs yet >

Anybody shoot the ultracorelok slugs yet

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anybody shoot the ultracorelok slugs yet

Old 11-07-2003, 12:52 PM
bigcountry

Default Anybody shoot the ultracorelok slugs yet

I just got i some 12ga ultra corelok slugs. They said they shoot 1900fps out of a 2.75" shell with a 385gr slug. I am wondering if anyone has chrono' d some. I can' t figure out how they are getting that speed with a 2.75 shell. I mean the most you can get out of a 3" mag with a 1oz slug is 1550fps or so.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:41 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Anybody shoot the ultracorelok slugs yet

Well, tried them on Sunday. Nothing to brag about in my Browning Gold slug gun. Out of 10, I got two 3" groups at 100 yards, and then the other group was all over the place. Guess I will stick with my 2.75" copper solids. Even 3" Rem copper solids shoot bad. But I get 2" consistent groups with the 2.75" Rem copper solids. I was hoping to get some more range.

Old 11-11-2003, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

TRY LIGHTFEILD SLUGS, THEY WORK GREAT IN ALL SLUG GUNS
Old 11-11-2003, 05:54 AM

I use the new winchester platinums .....2.75 400grain and 1700 fps. They are also hollow point ....doesnt just stop the deer , knocks em over
Old 11-11-2003, 04:01 PM

I shot some today but not sure on the results - read more....

I had the chance today to finally try out my new Hasting' s 12Ga in my 870. I had some good but strange results (strange to me) that I wanted to run by the board. I had the sight (Bushnell Red Dot) bore sighted and put my target at 50 yds. I was close right away but a little high and right - easily fixed and two shots later I' m right on. At 50 yds I fired the following 2 3/4 inch loads:

Rem Buckhammer 1.25 ounce (ouch)
Win Super X 1 ounce (noticably less recoil)

I was able to get 2-3 inch groups with these loads which made me very happy (bench rest).

After a ceasefire I moved the target to the 100 yard line

Fired the following:

Rem Buckhammer 1.25 ounce
Win Super X 1 ounce
Rem Core-lokt 385 gr. (recoil was brutal as was the hit on my wallet)

These were all high 4-5 inches and wide left and right 4-5 inches. I ended up surrounding the six inch targets I was aimed at but not hitting. Still probably a kill on a deer but not what I wanted especially off a bench.

Here is the question - since the 2 50 yard loads seemed right on the money - wouldn' t it stand to reason that they should be low and on line at 100 yds? I can' t compare on the Core Lokt since I didn' t fire it at the 50 yard line. If I am right on at 50 yds - does it make sense to be high at 100. Are these loads still rising at 100yds? I have no experience, can you tell, with slugs. Should I sight high at 50 with these loads? Any help or advice is appreciated. Overall I am very happy with the performance of my set up at 50yds. I would like to have consistent performance at both distances. If it matters, this gun will be used for Deer in NJ and NY - not too many shots over 50 yds and probably more shots will occur at under 50.

I have to say, even though its inconclusive, that the other slugs shot better, cost less and were way easier on the shoulder. I still need to get that 100 yard distance ironed out to make a final call on it. I did notice that the Core-Lokt slugs were leaving my action partially open after the shot - as if I had pulled back just slightly on the forearm. Might have been the result of me pushing back against the recoil and having the forearm pushed back by the shooting bag. I have to say I don' t care for that. This is a powerful round

Bob

Old 11-11-2003, 07:28 PM
bigcountry

I have killed a few deer with the lightfields. Didn' t really like the performance on deer at 100 yards. They were accurate.