Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looks Like an Encore for me >

Looks Like an Encore for me

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looks Like an Encore for me

Old 11-11-2003, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Looks Like an Encore for me

I think my days of rifle hunting unless I have a bench are about over. I have more and more trouble gettling a rifle up to my bad shoulder. If I have it on a rest I can do it but out in the open I can' t hold the gun up very well. I have the bad left shoulder and no right eye. I quess the Encore with a 15 inch barrel and a good bipod are going to be the way to go. That will allow me to use my good right arm and good left eye. The Encore will give me rifle performance in a handgun. I think I will start with a 250 Savage barrel Bob Milek had good results with that caliber for deer and antelope out to 250 yards. There is almost no caliber you can' t get. The 300 Savage is a good handgun barrel as are the 30 herret and 35 Remington. Will have to get a very god handgun scope. Has anyone a favorite in that department. I think some sort of 2x7 would suit my kind of hunting.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:22 AM

Default RE: Looks Like an Encore for me

JamesB,

I have had some pretty good success with Leupold' s handgun scopes. I' d have trouble imagining a better combination than a 15" Encore chambered for .250 Savage and topped with an appropriate Leupold! Though the .300 Savage is a great caliber as well!

Keep us posted on what you decide!

P.S. Bob Milek.....that' s another name I haven' t heard in a while. (We just moved and I " found" some of my older books....Jack O' Connor, Elmer Keith, John Wooters.......to name only a few.) They say your getting old when you spend more time recalling the past rather than considering the future?!?
Old 11-12-2003, 06:48 AM

Good choice James, I was going to get an Encore until this pretty little Win. Featherwieght in 257 Roberts came along it' s still on the list but will have to wait now. I have 3 Contender frames and several bbls. I enjoy a lot.

Can' t go wrong with the Leupold, and Burris makes some fine handgun scopes too, I have a Weaver 2x7x that is great on the bench but the eye relief isn' t the best for hunting purposes (IMHO)

Heading to the range this A.M. for awhile, taking the 38-55 and 44 mag

Keep us posted.

Wes
Old 11-12-2003, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

I posted a question about .223. There is a reply linking you to another site. This site is great for TC owners. You should try it!