Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New: for hunting and getting a hunting shotgun >

New: for hunting and getting a hunting shotgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New: for hunting and getting a hunting shotgun

Old 09-20-2017, 10:19 PM
Spike

Default New: for hunting and getting a hunting shotgun

Hello,

Trying to figure out where to start. First and foremost, I want to start hunting with my bird dog (a Brittany). I know there is a lot to learn and asking people that have a lot of knowledge is a good place to start.

I have legal residency in Arizona, meaning I have my DL in AZ, but haven't been to Arizona in years. I currently live in Maryland. I'm active duty military. I want to hunt in and around Maryland. With that said, I have NO idea where to start. You'd think I would being military, but I do intel work, so never had to deal with guns much outside of getting pistol qualified 10 years ago.

I also don't own a shotgun, so I'll be looking into that after I figure out my laws and what I need to be legal. Any quick reconditions for a first time shotgun owner.

I'm hearing Maryland is strict with their gun laws compared to other states. I don't know what benefits being active duty will play and being that I have out of state residency to where I plan on buying, transporting, and hunting, will have. Again, I know nothing about this process, hunting, and where to start. I plan on and already have been finding bird dog hunting associations in Maryland, research online, and reading up on some things. I figure I'd use this as another outlet to all that I'll be learning.

Thanks for any advice and what to focus on.
Thanks
Vitto
Old 09-21-2017, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will need to take a hunter safety course to be allowed buy hunting license.

Maryland is not too bad about shotguns and hunting rifles. Buying a shotgun will require an instant background check. You will have to give a bit of thought about what birds you want to hunt and your budget. You can buy a nice serviceable pump Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 for under $400, a fine English double for about the price of a new Porsche 911, and many other choices in between. My first shotgun was a Remington 870 and it has never failed me.

Upland birds (grouse, woodcock, quail, etc.) can be taken cleanly with almost any gauge of shotgun using either lead or nontoxic shot (steel, tungsten, bismuth, etc.). Waterfowl (ducks, geese, etc.) are normally hunted with a 12 gauge that shoots nontoxic shot.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 09-21-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Benelli Super Nova would be my first choice. Remington 870 would be my second. Not buying anything but my first or second choice would be my 3rd choice.

For upland hunting, life is pretty simple. Modified or improved choke, both of which come with the SN or 870. 6, 7 1/2, or 8 shot, depending upon how close of cover you'll be hunting - I'm almost exclusively 7 1/2.

Any American Citizen who is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm is able to purchase a long gun in any US state. You might be able to find a gunshop which offers discounts for active military. As mentioned above, you'll have to take hunter's education, then buy your license in the state you're hunting. For pheasant and quail, you should just need your license, for Dove you'll have to add your HIP stamp for migratory birds - which is very cheap (forget what it was this year?). Both the 870 and SuperNova should come with a magazine plug (likely installed) which limits the capacity to 3 rounds, in concession to migratory bird hunting compliance. This can be removed for upland game hunting. Most states will require blaze orange vest and hat for upland hunting, but you'll be instructed on that for your particular state during your Hunter Education course. Blah, blah, a million more details on nook and cranny stuff, which you'll be able to pick up from the bird dog association or your hunter's education course, so I'll leave you to learn it there...
Old 09-22-2017, 12:06 AM
Spike

Thank you for all the info! I'll be sure to take everything you said into account. Appreciate the reply

[2QUOTE=Big Uncle;4316293]You will need to take a hunter safety course to be allowed buy hunting license.

Maryland is not too bad about shotguns and hunting rifles. Buying a shotgun will require an instant background check. You will have to give a bit of thought about what birds you want to hunt and your budget. You can buy a nice serviceable pump Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 for under $400, a fine English double for about the price of a new Porsche 911, and many other choices in between. My first shotgun was a Remington 870 and it has never failed me.

Upland birds (grouse, woodcock, quail, etc.) can be taken cleanly with almost any gauge of shotgun using either lead or nontoxic shot (steel, tungsten, bismuth, etc.). Waterfowl (ducks, geese, etc.) are normally hunted with a 12 gauge that shoots nontoxic shot.[/QUOTE]