Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.270 and 7mm rem >

.270 and 7mm rem

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270 and 7mm rem

Old 09-19-2017, 02:24 PM
Spike

Default .270 and 7mm rem

I have been using a browning abolt .270 for the past 20 years and have killed a bunch of deer with it. It is my only current deer rifle other than the ruger American compact 7mm-08 I bought for my son. I hunt most places where shots are less than 100 yards but I hunt some where shots can be over 500 yards or as far as a somebody is capable. I am tinkering with the idea of using my .270 as my main go to for most places where shots will be limited to 300 yards and getting another rifle with optics and loads optimized for longer ranges instead of having one load and compromising on either short or long distance. I was thinking of a Remington 700 long range in 7mm rem. my farthest kill shot was with a borrowed sensation in 7mm rum at 475 yards. The recoil in that heavier rifle did not bother me. I see the 700 long range is cheaper and leaves more money for optics. Let me know what y'all think? I do not reload but am interested. I have killed deer with all kinds of factory loads in my .270 including core-lock, fusion, sierra gamekings, powerpoints, ballistic tips, and currently using hornady American whitetail interlocks.
If I didn't already have my abolt I would probably want a tikka .308 as my go to all purpose.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Spike

I meant to say borrowed Remington 700 sendaro.