Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which tripod-mounted field rest? >

Which tripod-mounted field rest?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which tripod-mounted field rest?

Old 08-23-2017, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which tripod-mounted field rest?

I've been wanting to get a solid field rest for my Optima pistol, S&W Model 460, and especially my Encore pistol for a while now. I'm planning on setting up blinds in two new locations this year, locations in which there is a possibility of a 150 yard or greater shot. The Bog Pod PSR seems like it's very well liked, I can't find them for sale anymore. If anyone knows where I can get one, I'd be grateful.

Barring a PSR, I've been looking at two different rifle field rests: the Caldwell Deadshot and the Bog Pod XSR. While both rests are designed for rifles, I think that with a little tinkering and adjusting, they'd make great specialty pistol rests.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

Wolf, I'd PM Nomercy if I were you. He is the pistol guy. I'd bet my last nickle he will have the perfect rig in mind for you. I don't hunt often with a handgun other than when running hogs with dogs so I am a little weak on the subject. Dad loved handgun hunting but he used a Mono. The man was ungodly strong and had plenty of core strength to hold steady even with just a Mono stick.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I'd either dig around and find an old PSR on ebay or elsewhere, or find a way to work up your own.

I've been looking to add another rest for my son, and I'm just not satisfied with either the Caldwell or the Bog-gear XSR. The Caldwell deadshot isn't stiff enough for my liking, so a guy would have to use the "Magnum" version, which is a lot heavier and a LOT bulkier. All of the caldwell's have the "twin rail" design, which is nice and stiff, and doesn't have much flex against the mount, but it's bulky and heavy, and makes fora bit of a challenge for the handgunner - you have to add a platform plus your grip bag.

I like the shorter, flat/solid body of the XSR, but there's not nearly enough rise available for the support yokes, and even if you made your own, the plate body isn't thick enough to really make a tall yoke be stable.

I'm not sure which one I'd buy myself right now (grateful I have a pair of PSR's!). If I got the Caldwell, my first priority would be to figure out how to swap it onto a less bulky tripod, then chop the rear end of the rails, and add a permanent, hard fixed platform for the grip bag. The support yoke height adjustment is already there, and it's nice and solid. A guy wouldn't be wrong to use a Bog XSR, then figure out a better means of supporting the upright yoke at the front.

Eh - I'm not sure, I'd flip a coin between the two of them. The strong point of the XSR is that it's readily transplantable onto any tripod, whereas the Caldwell Magnum is proprietarily mounted - and their MASSIVE tripod takes a lot of time to adjust compared to other hunting style tripods... And did I mention it is MASSIVE? Personally, I'm leaning towards making something of my own design from scratch for my next field support. I'd really like to replace the grip section of the Primos Trigger-Stik tripod that I use too, it's not a big issue if I stay well practiced, but there's a bit more run out and a bit more flex in the grip above the leg turret than I'd like. For 100-150yrd shooting, it's a non-issue, but getting out past 200yrds with heavier pistols, it does take a little work to help it mind its manners from shot to shot.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, you might have mentioned that it was a little on the large size.

After doing a bit of research, I may have a way of acquiring a Bog Pod kit that includes a PSR if my local store can't get one from any of their suppliers.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

When battenfield bought bog, they streamlined the product lines, and several items, including the PSR were discontinued. There's still some new-old stock out there, but it's dwindling.

The PSR isn't perfect, but it's definitely the best commercial product I have seen.

The bog spigot mount might be a good option for you, since you'll have swivel studs on either of these pistols. Mounting the handgun directly to the tripod.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

I've made a deal with someone to get me one of those kits with the PSR. I might also get an XSR if I know I'll be taking a rifle hunter along with me.