Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.35 Remington >

.35 Remington

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.35 Remington

Old 08-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
The Whelen is a lot more cartridge than the .35 Rem. With an uber load, the Rem will push a 200grn pill somewhere around 2300, factory fodder will be around 2050-2100. The Whelen will push the same 200grn pill up over 2800 with a smile on its face. A lot more powder, a lot more recoil... fantastic cartridges in their own rights, however, both of them. Just different weight classes.

Don't count out your 44mag in a conversation about the .35 Remington. Getting a 240 up over 1600fps isn't a challenge, even 1750 can be within reach. The 240 XTP has a BC just over .2, most of the blunt 200 grn pills for the .35 Rem aren't much, if any better, and again - you're only talking 2100-ish feet per second. I shoot .44mags out to 250-300 fairly regularly, my 250yrd hold is the bottom edge of my 1st mil-dot. 250 with a .35 Rem would be just a touch over half a mil. Not a big enough difference for me to buy a new rifle over - especially when the .44mag is cheaper for factory ammo (and more widely available), and uses less than half of the powder of the .35rem.

Don't let that discourage you from buying a new rifle if you want one - as the .35 Rem is a great round, but I also wouldn't want a guy to buy a new rifle thinking it would change their world compared to their owned rifle, without really feeling out what the real differences might be.
What I've read is the .44 Rem mag is accurate up to 100 yards, but you're saying you shoot it up to 300 yards out? I wasn't really in the market for another gun until he told me he wanted to sell it. And for the price he's asking, I'm at least going to learn about this caliber to see if I want to add it to the arsenal! haha
Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

If the price is right, buy the thing, try it and see if you like it, you can always sell it and maybe make a little money.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most people are quick to confuse how accurate a cartridge can be with how accurately they personally are able to shoot it with the relatively hindered equipment into which they force it. If you find yourself holding a 1-1.5moa at 100yrd capable Marlin 1894, why would it not be capable of killing deer at 200-250yrds? Can a guy do that standing, off-hand, with iron sights? Eh, he'd have to be a lot better than me. But how many guys do you know who can HONESTLY deliver vital sized groups standing off hand unsupported with a rifle? With or without a scope...?

The 44mag does fall subsonic after 200yrds, but when you're shooting short, fat bullets at low velocities, that transonic transition isn't as big of a penalty, and a 3moa group at 200-250 will kill deer...

And again - if you can't manage 1 1/8mil drop at 250yrds, can you really manage 0.6mil drop with the .35rem?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's a good deal, then AT WORST, if you do buy it, then you can resell it and make your money back. So for you, a good deal will lead to either ownership of a good rifle or at least a good experience, well worth a little entertainment cost.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Spike

I have a marlin 336 in this caliber. I love it. I only use it when hunting tight quarters. It is as good a caliber as any on earth for deer bear and hogs when hunting tight quarters as you mite be in Mississippi. Fun to shoot and hits hard with ole 200 grain corelokts. Buy buy buy
Old 08-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Growing up I only knew 1 friend in college that used a 35 Rem.
Now know about 1/2 dozen and they all really like it.
They all use factory ammo (i.e. don't reload).
Say that the 200gr SPs hit harder than any ballistics would suggest!

Buy the rifle.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like mine! Got a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. & it's a tough little rifle. I put a Leupold VX2 2-7x33 scope on it which IMO is too much, a 1-4 would be perfect if you want a scope. They're great brush guns, love carrying mine when I'm hunting a thick area & shots are w/in 100 yds. It shoots both the Remington Core-Lokts & Hornaday Leverevolutions well.