Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Browning BLRs vs Savage 99s >

Browning BLRs vs Savage 99s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning BLRs vs Savage 99s

Old 06-04-2017, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default Browning BLRs vs Savage 99s

I've always liked levers and have an assortment of Winchesters, Marlins, Henry's as well as a Savage 99. How do the BLRs shoot?

I have a cousin that has a couple BLRs and he seems to like them but they're much more of a safe queen than a hunting rifle for him. I think he has a 7mm-08 and a .300 WSM. I haven't got to shoot them but have looked at them.

I was kicking around the idea of finding a Savage 99 in 7mm-08 but haven't had much luck. But there seems to be allot of the BLRs floating around.

Anyone have one and have an opinion on it?

-Jake
Old 06-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a BLR in 243 it's shoots and handles well. I've taken a few hogs and predators with it. It's fun to shoot ; I just don't really use it when I deer hunting as I've got others that jump out to me. I do plan to use it in the off season for coyotes!
Old 06-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Bocajnala, If you can find an original Savage 99 in 7mm08 at a decent price, you should jump as hard and fast as you can. Those things are as rare as hens teeth. Pretty much anyone that has one won't let it go for less than a small fortune. As to your question, the BLR's tend to be a bit more accurate because of the way they lock up. They are basically a bolt action operated by a lever. They just lock up a bit better. Now I am in no way stating that they are definitely more accurate. I have seen several 99's that will shoot the eye out of a needle, mine included, but for the most part the BLR's just have a slight edge in accuracy. But when you start comparing balance and feel, the 99 wins hands down in my opinion. The trigger on both are pretty sad but fairly easily fixed to break clean and smooth with a little work. Some don't mind the creepy trigger feel but unfortunately I inherited the need for a good trigger from my dad. I honestly don't think that man ever felt a factory trigger he found acceptable.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Friend had a 7mm08 savage 99 and sold it a while back. Got $1800 for it.

Al
Old 06-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Friend had a 7mm08 savage 99 and sold it a while back. Got $1800 for it.

Al

Ya that's what I'm finding. The few I've seen have been way more than I wanna spend. But I've seen a few BLRs go within my range.
-Jake
Old 06-05-2017, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Then again... I doubt the 7mm-08 would do anything the .300 sav won't do. Just something I'd like to have I guess.
-Jake
Old 06-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Bocajnala, I can tell you with complete confidence that the 7mm08 will easily outperform the .300 savage. Inside 125 yards, not so much, outside 125 yards and the 7mm08 will smoke the .300 savage and have it for dinner. I love both of my 99's. the .300 and the .243 but I can tell you from experience that the .300, while being one excellent cartridge inside of 125 yards, leaves a pretty good bit of room for improvement and the 7mm08 is that improvement.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO a Savage 99 needs to be in 250 or 300 Savage for no reason other than nostalgia.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Bocajnala, I can tell you with complete confidence that the 7mm08 will easily outperform the .300 savage. Inside 125 yards, not so much, outside 125 yards and the 7mm08 will smoke the .300 savage and have it for dinner. I love both of my 99's. the .300 and the .243 but I can tell you from experience that the .300, while being one excellent cartridge inside of 125 yards, leaves a pretty good bit of room for improvement and the 7mm08 is that improvement.
Oh ya, I fully agree there. I suppose I worded that wrong. For my purpose for the rifle, there wouldn't be any noticeable difference. None of my 99s have worn a scope, and I use them primarily while driving or still hunting. SHots typically within 50 yards. One, on a bedded doe a few years back, at less than ten yards. Don't think she had any idea I was even there.

-Jake
Old 06-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

A scope on a 99? People actually do that? Just kidding. The old man had a scope on everything he shot except for his concealed side arms. Looks like I will be too before to long. My eyes seem to be following the same dreadful close up path. But yes for your purposes there would be really no appreciable difference. Other than maybe ammo availability. I would imagine the .300 savage is getting pretty hard to come by unless you reload.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.