Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Past HNI Gun Fads >

Past HNI Gun Fads

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Past HNI Gun Fads

Old 05-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Past HNI Gun Fads

On another thread flags mentioned a rifle Remington used to make between 1981-2005: the Model 700 Classic.
Having never heard of it, that piqued my curiosity. In the process of Googling, it got me to looking at some other old Remington catalog items that I did remember from 11 years ago---like the Model 798 and Model 799---when I was a kid saving up for his first rifle, pouring over several free gun catalogs with hungry eyes...not surprisingly, I came across some old HNI threads about some of these rifles; some threads were from back when I first came on HNI---and it brought back some memories!

The threads on the 798 reminded me there used to be a cult-like devotion to CZ. I think users like "eldeguillo(sp?)" used to be all about it.

That, in turn, reminded me that there was an extremely vocal group of members who told everyone and their brother that the only cartridge they should ever get is a 6.5x55 Swede. (Was RebelHog one of these?)

But there was an even smaller, but even more radical group that preached the K31 Swiss rifle (7.5x55 Swiss).

The CZ and 6.5 Swede clans repeatedly converged on threads from newbies like myself, sometimes being natural allies, and may have suggested that I buy a CZ 550 FS carbine with the Mannlicher stock (was it in production between 2006-07?)...as though my money from taking out the trash for a year and a half could suffice to pay for that!

Ultimately, it was the Church of the 7mm-08 that got closest to sealing the deal and converting me. Had I not come across a Remington 673 in .308 on clearance for less than $600.00 one evening in Athens, Tennessee, I'd have been just as enthusiastically sharing the good news as they did.

Anyone else remember any fads from this part of the HNI forums?
Old 05-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

BigCountry and the 300 RUM...
Old 05-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remington came back out with their "Classic" series, with one caliber/cartridge per year in a limited edition. In 2012, they had the CDL in 6MM Remington. Since that is my all time favorite deer cartridge AND it was the birth year of my grandson, I snatched one up! Wish I had bought two!!!!
(The 6MM Rem. is impossible to find in new rifles, and the Mod. 7 and 600 Mohawk Remington's are worth their weight in gold!!!! In any caliber, let alone 6MM Remington!)
Old 05-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is the .375 H&H faith still alive and well?

I can't tell if my mind is playing tricks on me or not, but I can almost swear I once saw someone suggest the H&H to a user looking for a rifle to get a kid, saying it could be loaded down to where its recoil would be minimal.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

If this .338 win mag I got shoots good it'll be "Jake and his .338"
-Jake
Old 05-11-2017, 04:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by younggun308

The threads on the 798 reminded me there used to be a cult-like devotion to CZ. I think users like "eldeguillo(sp?)" used to be all about it.

My 9.3x62 is a CZ Model 550 American. I can understand the devotion. Mine is just like it was when I took it out of the box and it shoots better than I can with both factory and handloaded ammo. Great guns at a good price.

That, in turn, reminded me that there was an extremely vocal group of members who told everyone and their brother that the only cartridge they should ever get is a 6.5x55 Swede. (Was RebelHog one of these?)

I've got a Rem 700 Classic (There I go again! ) in 6.5x55 Swede. The Swede is a great little round, no recoil, effective on game and a round that has been around for a long time. Extremely popular in Europe. I use it back in CO for both deer and pronghorn and it works well.
Fads are interesting. Had these been going on when I came on the forum I'd have been heavily involved in the discussions.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just got a bunch of Swede ammo and dies...I guess I'll have to get something to shoot it out of now!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
I just got a bunch of Swede ammo and dies...I guess I'll have to get something to shoot it out of now!
I tried a bunch of handloads in my Swede but the best accuracy I get is from factory Sellier & Bellot loaded with the 131 gr softpoint. I never could get a handload as accurate as that and several years ago Natchez SS had a sale for $8.99 a box. I ordered a whole bunch of it and am still shooting that up. I'm keeping the brass of course since my handload with a Hornady was just slightly less accurate and with the Swede you don't need premium bullets to take deer sized game which is all I use it for.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Hello, may I interest you all in a 300 Win Mag handgun? Every TRUE hunter absolutely needs one.

I'm sure y'all got tired of me talking about it last fall.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I used to be interested in setting up a handgun similar to that. But there just aren't enough tags or days in the season for me to chase every little desire I have lol. Most my time is spent guaranteeing I put some meat on the ground. I would like to shoot one sometime though. I've shot a few of the big revolvers but never anything like that.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.