Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Scope power to sight in at >

Scope power to sight in at

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope power to sight in at

Old 04-30-2017, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scope power to sight in at

What power should I have my scope set at when sighting it in? I use a 3x9 vortex
Old 05-01-2017, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always sight in at a hundred yards at the highest power from a rest. When I'm confident of my zero, I fire from a mid setting and the lowest setting. Works for me.

Most of the newer scopes don't seem to have an issue with reticle drift at different magnifications. Nice to know if yours does or doesn't.

Good shooting form and consistency are more important than magnification. Most of the variables are the shooter and not the rifle or optics.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use 4x. It's the setting I use most often. If the scope is going to drift zero with magnification change, it won't be much either way. I don't shoot with the power above 6 anyway. Just use the higher magnifications for spotting.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Most scopes I have ever see come with instructions to sight in as mudderchuck said, highest setting.

Is also what chuckhawks says.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sight-in_rifle.htm

Al
Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

9x.

Sight in using the highest mag.

There's a reason those long range bench guys use 40x scopes etc...
Old 05-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

What about when your shooting at 50 yards during initial sighting in?
Old 05-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

The instructions that came with the scope, as much as I hate to say it, are probable the best place to start !

However, some variable scopes have a dot/mark on the power ring to indicate the optimal power for edge to edge brightness and clarity (if mine had such a indicator, I would "zero" at that mark).

Last edited by Sheridan; 05-01-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aim small miss small. I use a half inch white dot (white target patch) in the center of my black bulls eye ten ring. It makes it easier for me to see when the reticle (cross hairs) are nearly exactly centered on target. Hard to see a half inch dot at lower magnification.

I also adjust my scope by taking up the same sight picture I shot from the rest and talk a friend into moving my cross hairs to the bullet hole (s). Hard to see a bullet hole at lower magnification. Then I fine tune. My way seems to save a lot of wasted ammo.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

I generally sight all my rifles and handguns in at 100 yards with their scopes turned al the way up, which means 8 power on my handguns, 9 power on most of my rifles, and 20 power on my 270. The concept of "aim small, miss small" is easier to accomplish when it's easier to see the bullseye on the target, in my opinion.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Also keep in mind you can use 100 yards to sight in your rifle for longer yardages if you can only fine a 100 max range. You just need a drop chart to get started.

Just remember to double check when you get where you can stretch out the yardages. That's why I like my home made shooting bench so well, carry's in the pick up and in the hand very well.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.