Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington recall >

Remington recall

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington recall

Old 02-26-2017, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

I remember reading about that all over the web a few years back. How widespread was the Remington 700 trigger issue?
Old 02-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know how many reported incidents there were, but I believe the recall covered something like 7 million rifles if I remember correctly... Seems like it was initially just for more recent rifles, then extended to cover all rifles from like 1962 on or something like that.
-Jake
Old 03-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well put Alleyooper. I imagine this Rem. 700 problem was publicized well before Alley Oop left the funnies ! I miss the guy! How about you?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

jake, i havent gotten the boxes from them yet. i knew that Remington had a recall a long time ago but as far as i know this is a somewhat newer recall. ive never had any problems with my two rifles but i wont take that chance. when i send the rifles in ill let everyone the turn around time.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

jake, i received the boxes yesterday from Remington and sent them back to Remington today. ill let everyone know when i get them back.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you own a Remington firearm? Then you’d better read this. Remington just settled a major class action lawsuit that alleged the iconic firearm manufacturer covered up a significant defect in some of its most popular models, which includes over 7.5 million allegedly defective guns. The defect? The guns could fire without the trigger being pulled.

This week, a federal judge upheld the settlement that will end the multi-year lawsuit, requiring Remington to pay the plaintiff’s attorneys $12.5 million in fees and replace defective triggers on all of the affected models free of charge, according to CNBC. The settlement has angered many who believe that the company settled in order to sweep the issue under the proverbial rug rather than continue litigation.

According to CNBC, the federal judge’s final approval of the settlement goes against arguments put forth by gun owners, legal experts and nine state attorneys general who “argued that Remington should be required to admit the guns are defective” – a statement missing from the final settlement. However, U.S. District Judge Ortrie D. Smith stood by his decision, saying that “fixing some of the guns is better than risking none at all being fixed” and wrote, “By approving this settlement, the Court facilitates remediation of the alleged defect. That result may save lives and reduce the risk of injury to others.”

The guns covered in the settlement include Remington’s Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, 721, 722 and 725 rifles and the XP-100 bolt-action pistol. People who own these guns can have it outfitted with a new trigger mechanism free of charge; owners of older models (600, 660, 721, 722, 725 and XP-100) can receive a product voucher ranging between $10 and $12.50, according to CNBC.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Do you own a Remington firearm? Then you’d better read this. Remington just settled a major class action lawsuit that alleged the iconic firearm manufacturer covered up a significant defect in some of its most popular models, which includes over 7.5 million allegedly defective guns. The defect? The guns could fire without the trigger being pulled.

This week, a federal judge upheld the settlement that will end the multi-year lawsuit, requiring Remington to pay the plaintiff’s attorneys $12.5 million in fees and replace defective triggers on all of the affected models free of charge, according to CNBC. The settlement has angered many who believe that the company settled in order to sweep the issue under the proverbial rug rather than continue litigation.

According to CNBC, the federal judge’s final approval of the settlement goes against arguments put forth by gun owners, legal experts and nine state attorneys general who “argued that Remington should be required to admit the guns are defective” – a statement missing from the final settlement. However, U.S. District Judge Ortrie D. Smith stood by his decision, saying that “fixing some of the guns is better than risking none at all being fixed” and wrote, “By approving this settlement, the Court facilitates remediation of the alleged defect. That result may save lives and reduce the risk of injury to others.”

The guns covered in the settlement include Remington’s Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, 721, 722 and 725 rifles and the XP-100 bolt-action pistol. People who own these guns can have it outfitted with a new trigger mechanism free of charge; owners of older models (600, 660, 721, 722, 725 and XP-100) can receive a product voucher ranging between $10 and $12.50, according to CNBC.
I don't own one but I'm assuming they don't want to say there gun is defective because it's the trigger which is probably not of there own manufacturer but I'm guessing on that.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

I'm going to replace my triggers with Timney triggers. I checked my serial numbers on the website and it said not affected but no need to risk it. Figure it would save from removing scopes and re zero plus I know what I'll be getting. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BRUSE
I'm going to replace my triggers with Timney triggers. I checked my serial numbers on the website and it said not affected but no need to risk it. Figure it would save from removing scopes and re zero plus I know what I'll be getting. Just my thoughts.
IMHO that's what everyone should have been doing for many decades that own any Remington with the Walker trigger that was designed by Mike Walker, one of their top guys way back in the 40s when they were introduced and Walker himself wanted a change made to his design and was turned down by the top brass because the redesign would have cost approximately 8 cents more per rifle!
Old 03-17-2017, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Well MFG cost at 8 cents for what 7 million is a lot of money spent and not all of the 7 million rifles have a problem, I have 7.

2 BDL's
Model 7
700 mountain
700 # 1 custom
2 muzzle loaders

All have been readjusted to 1.5 to 2 pounds and nary a lick of trouble and have did all the slam test required to verify the triggers are fine.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.