Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington recall >

Remington recall

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington recall

Old 03-24-2017, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
jake, i sent both rifles in on the 8th of this month and got one back today, the 23rd. thats about 2 weeks for the first one.
What did the end up doing to it?
Old 03-24-2017, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 700 BDL in 25-06. Bought it used in 1991. Never had an issue, but I never shot it a lot because it is terribly inconsistent and doesn't shoot most loads accurately. When this newest news story surfaced, I pulled it out of the gun cabinet. I cocked the bolt and decided to move the safety to fire. It wouldn't budge. I worked the bolt and safety a few times and got it to move. Then I closed the bolt a few times. 2 out of 3 times, the firing pin let down as I closed the bolt (as if I was holding the trigger down). If I closed the bolt slowly, no problem. Let it slam fast...maybe it sets off the primer. Took it to the range the next day and had no problems.

I typed the serial number into Remington's website the next day and it said my rifle was NOT affected. But, I still don't really trust it now. And it's not very accurate. Admittedly, I bought it used and it was re-stocked. That could be the accuracy issue. But I didn't like what I saw with the safety and firing mechanism that day. It will stay in my gun cabinet as an unloaded show piece. Beautiful thumbhole stock. Good conversation piece.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

jeepkid, the paper they sent back with the rifle stated that the trigger was replaced and test fired. thats all it said.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

jake, got the other rifle back yesterday. cant complain on the turn around time for both rifles. the triggers they put in is also adjustable. have to put the scopes back on and sight them in. see how hard of a pull the new triggers are.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Can you request them to set the trigger to your liking?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

ed, i never thought of asking is they would set the triggers down to about 3 pounds. they only replaced and tested the triggers.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry the last post is almost a year old, but since it's a recall-related issue, I'll post anyway. I bought a 710 in .30-06 about 13 years ago. It's worked fine but I did fill out a warranty claim some time ago. A few days ago I got a notice that Remington has determined that the best fix for the trigger recall is to replace the received on my 710 with a 770 receiver.

I wonder if it's worth the trouble? The thing shoots Federal 150gr BTSP very well, but I was going to try some other ammo in it. Should I hold off on doing that until after the receiver is replaced?
Old 02-09-2019, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn’t find a recall notice for the 710 which says they’re replacing the rifles (aka, receivers), but only the three trigger recalls (safety detent, walker trigger, and Xmark trigger). Could you share more details of what your recall notice entailed?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

The text of the email I received:
Dear Remington Firearms Class Action Settlement Claimant,

You have submitted a claim to receive a new trigger in your model 710/715 Remington rifle. In most cases, the repair process requires Remington to replace the receiver on your firearm with a new model 770 receiver. Because the receiver will be new, your firearm will also have a new serial number. Remington has determined that this is the best procedure available to replace the trigger on your firearm.

Remington will contact you by e-mail when it is ready to process your firearm for repair. If we do not hear otherwise from you by that time, we will assume that you agree to allow Remington to replace your firearm’s receiver with a new model 770 receiver. If you disagree or if you have questions, please contact Angeion Group at 1-800-876-5940.

Thank you,
Remington Customer Services
Old 02-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just ordered the box to replace the trigger on my Remington 673, which is a Model 7 action. Although it'll be a hassle having to re-mount the scope once it comes back, I'm positively giddy thinking about how much the adjustable X-Mark trigger will improve my offhand (and even bench) accuracy. Last deer I took at 80 yards offhand, it was a mental battle with the trigger till I finally made the shot. Thing feels like it's no less than 6lbs, but may only be 5 or 5.5 in reality. Didn't have any reliable gunsmiths in my area to work on the old Walker trigger mechanism (only bad reviews, and I didn't have the confidence to make the adjustments myself), so this recall solved a longstanding problem for me.