Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Homemade shooting table - solid as a rock! >

Homemade shooting table - solid as a rock!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Homemade shooting table - solid as a rock!

Old 02-13-2017, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Well if it ever gets stolen, you know who to send the cops after, 'cuz only the local football team will be able to move it!!
Shoot, they'd still need a crane and a flat bed semi trailer.

Definitely going to make a HUGE difference in your groups, that wire table is definitely something one of my old coaches would have called, "not conducive to accurate shooting."
That's why I preferred my backpack/pillow rest. It was soft enough to dampen some of the shaking. I won't need it anymore, though, except as a field rest.

One thing you might want to add - grab up a bit of 5/8" trim board and run a 1/2" lip proud around the edge on the front and sides. Helps prevent cartridges and cases from rolling off of the edge. Probably less important for you since you're shooting break actions, but if you use it for side port ejecting rifles or pistols in the future, it's pretty handy having a lip to catch things.
I might just have to try that. Actually, the semi-autos would probably throw brass over the lip, but it would definitely stop brass from a bolt action.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

if it wobbles put a napkin under 1 post...

looks solid! good job.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, my AR and Charger pistols fling it right off of the edge, but I use a brass net or brass catcher on the rifle for those anyway.

Seal the heck out of those deck boards so you don't get warp over time & weather too.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL...with all them joists he screwed the "deck" to it couldn't warp if he wanted it to!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Probably not, but I'll still seal it and stain it once it's had time to dry out.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I would probably mount a small engine under the deck ad wheels and a belt or chain drive system to move it.

I like my bugger bench for its portability and the home built rifle rest for sighting scopes in.

I can move both at the same time, both are easy to load in my truck to take to deer camp and not that up much room either.

Al
Old 02-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Spike

cool table !
Old 08-13-2017, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Update:
I've finally got some stain and sealant and applied two thick coats to my table. I figured I'd try to make it look good while I was at it.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

I had pallet that was sort of like crossed 4x4s. Top layer sticks out to sides. Gives you a place to lean rifles so they can cool standing up. Wasn't on purpose, but works great. Lots of different things could be done.

I've also got a poratable shooting bench. I like it. But wanted a table for stuff. Also I get nervous with 50lbs corn shooting bags on it, or something big like lead sled.

Last edited by Berserker; 08-14-2017 at 04:26 AM.