Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
12 Guage Slug Gun Suppressor >

12 Guage Slug Gun Suppressor

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12 Guage Slug Gun Suppressor

Old 01-18-2017, 01:19 PM
Spike

Default 12 Guage Slug Gun Suppressor

Hi. I have a 12 Guage Mossburg slug gun. Will the SilencerCo Salvo 12 on it or do I need another suppressor?
Old 01-18-2017, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

According to their web site it will do the job. The question is, do you want to spend a thousand dollars for the suppressor and a couple of hundred more for the license to have it? you can buy electronic hearing protection for a whole lot less.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Starting to sound like Valentine...

Welcome to the forum John!

Guys who haven't ever used a suppressor don't tend to appreciate the advantage of universal hearing protection. The convenience of being protected without being inhibited in the hunting field is a huge advantage in itself, but it applies everywhere else too. Many, or even MOST, firearms aren't quite quiet enough when suppressed to use no other protection, but it's a big advantage to use cheap, low level passive attenuation plugs or muffs alone with a suppressor, as it covers everyone around you, and allows casual conversation.

Especially important when taking younger kids along to shoot, which I'm sure even the eldest generation here would support as a worthwhile endeavor.

A thought - however - if you're following the Hearing Protection Act at all, you may want to simply wait it out. If it passes, you'd get a refund on your can if purchased now, but your overall purchase price might be very different. I envision the price of the can will go up dramatically as soon as it passes, but after production catches up, I expect they'll be considerably cheaper than they are today. There also will not be any requirement for Form 1 - you'll be able to produce your own suppressor just as you can produce your own rifle. That stabilization might take a couple years, so maybe having it in hand today might be worth the few hundred bucks in difference, but that'd be up to you. I bought cans before the HPA was a twinkle in an eye, I have two more in jail right now waiting for their paperwork, but I sure plan to thread and can everything I own if/when the Hearing Protection Act passes.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 01-19-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

An extended barrel on a shotgun seems excessive !....... after all you point and shoot the thing _ right ?!?!?

You are right "Super"; i forgot the OP was talking about a slug gun - now it even makes less sense to me (one shot - correct ?)

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-22-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uhhhh...hello??? Did you guys not read what he wrote or something? He is talking about putting it on a slug barrel. Not a wing shooting shotty. And as Mercy stated, you guys that don't have them, or haven't been the benefactor of someone having one on around you, can't appreciate the full value of one. And for those of you that don't seem to have a clue, good suppressors aren't heavy at all.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a handful of suppressors but I'd recommend waiting on buying one right now. Our new President may take suppressors off the NFA list, meaning you won't need a $200 tax stamp & an ~9 month waiting period for the BATFE to run your check. You would be able to purchase & immediately take possession from your local gun store or have one shipped to your FFL & pick up right away...
Old 01-22-2017, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by coolbrze0
I've got a handful of suppressors but I'd recommend waiting on buying one right now. Our new President may take suppressors off the NFA list, meaning you won't need a $200 tax stamp & an ~9 month waiting period for the BATFE to run your check. You would be able to purchase & immediately take possession from your local gun store or have one shipped to your FFL & pick up right away...
If anyone here is even slightly interested in this proposal, you really need to contact your senators and representatives and urge them to support S. 59 and H.R. 367.

Last edited by TN Lone Wolf; 01-22-2017 at 07:25 AM.