Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Speaking of the Creedmoor >

Speaking of the Creedmoor

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Speaking of the Creedmoor

Old 01-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Speaking of the Creedmoor

Here's one that actually makes a little sense...the 6mm version.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/americanRiflePredator/models.html

A factory rifle with a 1/7.7" twist...now that's a game changer!!!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Here's one that actually makes a little sense...
Just wondering, what about the 6.5 doesn't make sense?
Old 01-15-2017, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Wolf, in an AR configuration, it makes perfect sense. It's a fine round for that platform. It's also a fine round for bench guns for paper punching long range. As far as for Bolt action HUNTING rifles, there are MANY MANY better choices with MUCH MUCH better terminal ballistics performance at range. As I already stated, in an AR platform, I feel it is a fantastic hog cartridge. Probably even better than my preferred 6.8SPC which I have downed well over 1000 hogs with. But there are a lot of folks under the complete and utterly ridiculous false belief that it is a long range HUNTING cartridge.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

It's certainly not a long range cartridge, per se, but if you're going with a short action, lower recoiling cartridge for deer hunting out to 300 yards, it seems to be a pretty decent choice to me.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

RR tells me the "deer" will never know the difference ??

"be cautious of the person with only one gun" - they usually know how to use it !!!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Well Wolf, in an AR configuration, it makes perfect sense. It's a fine round for that platform. It's also a fine round for bench guns for paper punching long range. As far as for Bolt action HUNTING rifles, there are MANY MANY better choices with MUCH MUCH better terminal ballistics performance at range. As I already stated, in an AR platform, I feel it is a fantastic hog cartridge. Probably even better than my preferred 6.8SPC which I have downed well over 1000 hogs with. But there are a lot of folks under the complete and utterly ridiculous false belief that it is a long range HUNTING cartridge.
I think your thinking of the 6.5 Grendel? It is designed for the AR15. The Creed is basically a 22-250 ack necked to 6.5mm so it would fit in an AR10.

I like the 6mm Creed since it's close to a .243 win but factory rifles are being produced with fast twist tubes...
Old 01-15-2017, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup - the 6.5 Creed really just replicated performance which had been possible with a dozen rounds for many years.

The 6 creed AND it's accompanying fast twist factory models is something different. The other players in its class mostly have twists too slow to shoot the heavies, or require a custom barrel.

After a few drinks the other night while a buddy was exalting to me the 6.5creed, it struck me as to why so few of us really care for the 6.5 Creed... It's a lot like playing with yourself - those of us who like to actually kill game at long ranges know the limitations of such a light pill at such moderate speeds, and we're really ok with buying new barrels to give us enough power to ethically take game at those ranges. The 6.5 creed was built for a specific purpose, and it's now serving to raise up a new generation of "long range shooters" who love it for its low cost and low recoil - unfortunately, when they actually need to put their stick to use at long range, the 6.5 creed comes up short. Great round for practicing, but doesn't really deliver once you're playing for keeps on anything larger than varmints.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
"be cautious of the person with only one gun" - they usually know how to use it !!!
But be REALLY cautious of the person who knows how to use a LOT of guns...
Old 01-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
But be REALLY cautious of the person who knows how to use a LOT of guns...
There are fewer of those guyz !!!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

No Jeep, not confused at all. It was made for bench shooters and those of us that like the 10 platform. Not a lot of us out there. I don't particularly care for the Gren...I like my 6.8SPC much more than any Gren I've tried. The Creed, again, is a fine cartridge used WITHIN it's limitations. But there are just too dang many guys out there that think being able to hit the target at 1000 yards is all that matters. They fail to realize that hitting the target is just one part, albeit an important part, of the equation. Downrange energy is just as important to efficiently dispatch an animal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.