Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

safes

Old 01-02-2017, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to build my next house (that's the plan at least), and I'm going to do a monolithic pour. No more safes, just a vault. I'll put locking cabinets in the vault room, likely cages rather, just to add an extra layer of security.

What has frustrated me in owning multiple safes (think I've owned 8 or 9 safes now - was easier to sell and buy new when I moved longer distances), is the cost of fire protection. Most firearms lost when inside a safe aren't lost to thieves, they're lost to fire or water damage resulting from fire-fighting. If I DO buy another set of safes instead of building a vault, I'm tempted to have them custom built, zero fire protection, save my money on that, then build firing proofing around them. I've basically done exactly that at my last two houses, but with standard high dollar fire & theft protection safes instead of cheap "only the steel" safes.

Personally, 36-48 gun safes work best for me. I'd rather have 3 smaller safes than one massive one, at least until I get the Vault done at the next house. I have had two 64 gun safes, and I absolutely despise digging 20 guns out of the safe to get to one I want in the back.

I also absolutely despise the fact so few commercial safes are properly designed to accommodate 1) scoped rifles, as that's a blatant oversight of a very common item, 2) AR-15's, again, very common item, and most importantly to me 3) handguns - none of them have good systems for storing a large number of handguns. I have 2 safes currently just for handguns, and I HATE the way the shelves are set up.

A fireproof, floodproof, and thiefproof room with theifproof (abrasion resistant) cages with shelves for handguns and Lazy Susans for rifles and shotguns is the way I'm going on my next house!
Old 01-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking of doing the same thing 11 or so years ago when I built this house Mercy. Was thinking of having the foundation crew pour that hydraulic stuff 30 inches wide with the sealer outside and fireproof ins. on the inside. By the time we factored in capping it, the room offset (sure wasn't gonna have the whole foundation like that) and then the door cost, it was insanely expensive. Wife said nope...uhuh...My wallet agreed!