Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

safes

Old 01-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

I had the electronic one. The keypad was fine. It was the gears, etc. on the inside that seized up. I won't publicly post how he got in to help maintain all of your safes' security (never know which bad guys are reading our forum). If you absolutely need details, please PM me and I can provide them. It wasn't the electronic dial that went bad. The locksmith said you can replace the battery the same way OT said and be back in business after a dead battery.

I am not trying to slam anybody's Cannon safe. The model I got had plenty of room inside and was definitely heavy and thick enough. My problem is I watched the locksmith repair the safe and asked plenty of questions. He was a real good guy and I kept his card. Maybe it was just the model I got but the locksmith said he had been running into this same problem with other Cannon safes (maybe a bad batch?). All I can say is that I lost confidence in the safe and did not want to run the same risk again. I'm funny that way. If anything mechanical has enough problems (car, truck, safe, gun, etc.), I reach a certain point and it gets sold.

FWIW, I really liked the price point of the Cannon and it's a solid, heavy safe. I even liked the electronic keypad (my first). I just didn't trust the gears and the way the bolts fit into the safe I had. I am not trying to bash Cannon safes or say they are necessarily a bad choice, just sharing my experience which wasn't good on mechanics but was great on customer service.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's how my Dad is with the browning, good safe but he still doesn't have much confidence in it.

I think every product in general is going to have some bad ones at some point.

If I buy another it'll either be a Cannon that's on sale, or a Liberty or Fort Knox if I have the money for one.

Hopefully, my grand plan anyway, is to build an entire safe room with a Fort Knox door.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Sentry 24 gun safe with electronic lock. No problems, but definitely isn't big enough. Ended up pulling out all the shelves and getting rods for the long guns so they could be stacked in there.

Get one bigger an you think you will need!

Last edited by Rob in VT; 01-02-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I'll just say a prayer that things stay the way they have been since there is no way I'll get rid of mine because as sure as I would the new one would break in a week, LOL!
Old 01-02-2017, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, My 2 cents here
I sold gun safe's for a bunch of yrs
basically any safe is better than NO safe, BUT there is a BIG reason why better one's cost more
do a simple Youtube search and see how fast a guy can get into a cheaper safe!
NOT bashing anyone that doesn't have a HIGH end safe here, just saying this so folks don't think JUST cause they have a safe things are GREAT now.

I always told my customers this
LOOK at a safe as an investment, add up what all your putting into it, then think about the sense in having a safe that costs a fraction of the collection its supposed to protect!
makes one wonder a little if youy really think on this!

again, a safe is an investment, a good one will long outlive you!
MOST home owners insurance won't cover the value of a BUNCH of guns, s very few do, so unless you have actual gun insurance and by a GOOD company, your collection of firearms can be gone in a flash by crook or fire or??

so heads up there
second suggestion I tell safe buyers is buy the largest safe you can afford, you only want to install them once, they fill fast and are never big enough.
I have several and there all packed to the gills.

next is really think about where you plan to place it, moisture can be a major issue in safes and can do lots of damage from rust to mold

there is a LOT of safe reviews out there on quality, and all prove quality safes cost more $$

I have some lower level and some top shelf safes, Fort Knoxx to me is at the top, highly recommend them !

just honest advice here, again NOT bashing anyone for what they have or don't
Old 01-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 Liberty Presidential 40's and 1 Fort Knox 70+ rifle space. All 3 were expensive as heck but well worth it considering just 2 firearms they are protecting are worth more than all 3 safes combined. Like Jeep, I was thinking about just building a vault/armory but cost wise, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to buy more safes. You have to remember the fire/heat protection of the upper class safes. To get the same amount of protection in a built vault would take a small fortune at best. Another factor you should always consider in a gun safe is a dehumidifier and a really good one! And keep it serviced or you will end up with rusty guns. About the only place in this country where you wouldn't have much worry is Arizona. And I would still make sure I invested in one anyway. Even with the DH's running, I still put 3 larger sized silica packs in each safe for assurance.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 01-02-2017 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Top spotting a typo!! :D
Old 01-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
2 Liberty Presidential 40's and 1 Fort Knox 70+ rifle space. All 4 were expensive as heck but well worth it considering just 2 firearms they are protecting are worth more than all 3 safes combined. Like Jeep, I was thinking about just building a vault/armory but cost wise, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to buy more safes. You have to remember the fire/heat protection of the upper class safes. To get the same amount of protection in a built vault would take a small fortune at best. Another factor you should always consider in a gun safe is a dehumidifier and a really good one! And keep it serviced or you will end up with rusty guns. About the only place in this country where you wouldn't have much worry is Arizona. And I would still make sure I invested in one anyway. Even with the DH's running, I still put 3 larger sized silica packs in each safe for assurance.

So how many do you actually have since at first you list 3 and then mention "all 4" at the start of your sentence and end it with "all 3 safes combined", LOL! Gotcha!!! I do have to disagree on the dehumidifier necessity since it depends on where you live. I've been up here in southern MI the better part of my 69+ years and have never used one or any silica packs in my safes and have never had the slightest evidence of moisture or rust on any piece I own. Mine are on the main floor of our two story house with a full basement under. We do need to run a dehumidifier in the basement during the warmer months and actually have a humidifier running on the the main floor during the dry winter months up here.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-02-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a Cannon wide body 36 gun safe I got from Tractor Supply on Black Friday about 6 years ago. I think I paid 600 for it and was regularly 900. It has always worked perfectly. Mine has a round digital lock with a spoke stainless wheel to move the locking lags to open the safe. It takes a 9V battery. It weighs around 500 pounds so it took a bit to get it into the house. If I ever have to move it I plan to PM SH-54 and ask for Big Boy help.
I have a digital Liberty handgun safe to keep my bedroom handgun away from curious grand kids.

I have the golden wand which is basically a heat source keeping a constant temp as well as a plug in rechargeable dehumidifier. Every 3 months I pull the dehumidifier out and charge overnight. It has some colored beads that change color as they take on moisture. The 2 give me a better sense of security since the safe isn't in the heated part of the house.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 01-02-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
So how many do you actually have since at first you list 3 and then mention "all 4" at the start of your sentence and end it with "all 3 safes combined", LOL! Gotcha!!! I do have to disagree on the dehumidifier necessity since it depends on where you live. I've been up here in southern MI the better part of my 69+ years and have never used one or any silica packs in my safes and have never had the slightest evidence of moisture or rust on any piece I own. Mine are on the main floor of our two story house with a full basement under. We do need to run a dehumidifier in the basement during the warmer months and actually have a humidifier running on the the main floor during the dry winter months up here.
Don't you recognize SH's gun nirvana Top? He has so many gun safes and guns that he can't remember them all.

Now that's a problem I'd like to have.

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-02-2017 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Clarity, sp.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Originally Posted by CalHunter
Don't you recognize SH's gun nirvana Top? e has so many gun safes and guns that he can't remember them all.

Now that's a problem I'd like to have.
LMAO...I wish that was the problem and not sausage fingers hitting the 4 instead of 3 and old slow brain not seeing it. Gettin old sucks!! LMAO@ "gotcha"

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I have a Cannon wide body 36 gun safe I got from Tractor Supply on Black Friday about 6 years ago. I think I paid 600 for it and was regularly 900. It has always worked perfectly. Mine has a round digital lock with a spoke stainless wheel to move the locking lags to open the safe. It takes a 9V battery. It weighs around 500 pounds so it took a bit to get it into the house. If I ever have to move it I plan to PM SH-54 and ask for Big Boy help.
I have a digital Liberty handgun safe to keep my bedroom handgun away from curious grand kids.

I have the golden wand which is basically a heat source keeping a constant temp as well as a plug in rechargeable dehumidifier. Every 3 months I pull the dehumidifier out and charge overnight. It has some colored beads that change color as they take on moisture. The 2 give me a better sense of security since the safe isn't in the heated part of the house.
CI, you can bet when I move to Kentucky there is gonna be some seriously UNHAPPY movers when they get to my safes. ESPECIALLY the Fort Knox. That bugger took me n all 3 of my boys to get it down into the basement. Just a couple hundred pounds heavier than the Libs but wider and harder to manage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.