Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New to hunting >

New to hunting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New to hunting

Old 01-02-2017, 07:42 AM
Spike

Default New to hunting

I recently moved to Idaho from California. I'm looking to go hunting a lot now that I got such a beautiful state to do so in. My father in law and I have been going after elk and carabu as of late. I've decided to get my own gun this month. The problem I am running into is either a .270 or a 30-06. With those two calibers in mind, which would be ideal for deer up to elk (with the occasional coyotes thrown in)?

I appreciate any insight, suggestions or food for thought you all can provide.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a .270 fan all the way but there's not a thing wrong with the 30/06...flip a coin then go shoot stuff!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

First of all, congratulations on your escape from liberal land. Either of those calibers is a good choice for what you are hunting.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Spike

Yes, I second the sentiment that you made a good decision by moving from CA to ID. As far as a hunting rifle goes either the .270 or -06 Will be great for your stated purposes. The .270 will be a little flatter shooting at longer distances. But the 30-06 has a little more whammo. Between the two I'd prefer the 30-06, myself. 30 Cal is just an all around great size of bullet for big game. But either will do. You might want to talk to some friends, family, acquaintances that have some rifles (Idaho is fairly proliferate with hunting rifles) and see if you can shoot a few. See what feels the most comfortable.

You might also want to look into a .308.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

After hearing those comments already, which will be repeated throughout this thread; it's a matter of personal preference.

Find the "features" YOU WANT in a rifle, then go to a gun store and handle those.

Finally, close your eyes while envisioning the target ....................... pick up each rifle (that made the "cut") and shoulder the gun.

Open your eyes...................... which one is on target ?!?!

Let the gun pick you !!!
Old 01-02-2017, 01:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is fine for shotguns but with rifles it doesn't mean much.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
After hearing those comments already, which will be repeated throughout this thread; it's a matter of personal preference.

Find the "features" YOU WANT in a rifle, then go to a gun store and handle those.

Finally, close your eyes while envisioning the target ....................... pick up each rifle (that made the "cut") and shoulder the gun.

Open your eyes...................... which one is on target ?!?!

Let the gun pick you !!!
Originally Posted by Oldtimr
That is fine for shotguns but with rifles it doesn't mean much.
I beg to differ there OT. A rifle fit and feeling right is just as important as it is for a shotgun. And "blind point" is just one good way to tell if a rifle fits you well. If it's uncomfortable or hard to get "acclimated" to it, you dang well will have a hard time shooting it well in field positions. It's just as important as straight stock or pistol grip or any other various stock designs.

As to the OP question about cartridge choices, you all know I'm a proponent of the .30-06. Never bought in to the .270 craze. Personally, I can make a .30-06 round walk all over any .270 round with a little loving on the reloading bench. Too many SUPER good .308 caliber bullets out there nowadays with extremely good BC's that just wasn't around during the .270 craze. Don't get me twisted, the .270 is a fine cartridge and more than enough for what the OP is wanting. But as far as variability goes, the .30-06 is hands down the better cartridge.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Super, I don't have to close my eyes to tell if a rifle is uncomfortable or doesn't fit me correctly when I throw it up. Since you don't aim a shotgun you point it, it is more important for it to come to line of sight than a rifle. It is important if the rifle stock is too long or too short but it doesn't matter all that much if the front sight isn't exactly on target when you throw it up to your shoulder because you are going to settle in and aim it.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

One more thing to mention - you will hear that a .30-06 can shoot everything from a 110gr. bullet to a 250gr. bullet.............. which is true.

However, remember it's the twist rate that will determine which weight bullet the barrel will shoot best !!!

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.270winchester.html

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-02-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Spike

7mm rem mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.