Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
First Real Gun >

First Real Gun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First Real Gun

Old 11-30-2016, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
That there is just plain old funny. As far as factory rifles go, Savage is one of the most accurate and dependable rifles out of the box out there! Not to mention value. Dollar for dollar I'd put a new Savage up against ANY new Rem, Win, or Ruger made!
It would seem that Vapodog may have been too much to make a statement about Savages like that, as they are exactly as you describe, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 11-30-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Dumbest statement I have read in all these post on this topic.

"I loved my .243, I only shot one deer with it down in Alabama. I missed the vitals by a long shot, when someone else shot the deer they found my bullet in the bucks spine."

I have never seen a deer go any place with any spine injury. Yes My brother stuck a doe in the spine with an arrow and she laid on the ground kicking but didn't go any place.

Al
Old 12-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am currently looking for a trustworthy and dependable deer rifle.
I see the Savagistos are out in force.....probably none of which understand what feeding, ejecting, and extraction is.

I will agree about Savage accuracy.....even my M-99 was quite accurate for a lever gun.....I had two of them (in .308) and neither lived up to anything one would call reliability.....

Same for their bolt rifles....every one I had failed in one of the above requirements.....

Further, it appears folks here can't read well.....I suggested a USED Remington....not a NEW ONE.

I can fairly predict that that new Savage rifle they are saying is so great will be traded off in a couple years once you discover what a real rifle is supposed to do.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had and still have a few Savages and I have yet to have a single problem with feed, extraction, reliability, or accuracy. I pull the trigger and they go bang. I work the bolt or the lever, they eject and feed a fresh round and go bang again when I pull the trigger. Having built over 50 rifles for myself and 30 or so for others I think I have just a slight, tiny, smallest little inkling, of an idea of how a rifle should work. I'm no "Savagisto" but as far as out of the box accuracy and dependability, as far as my experiences have been in over 60 years of buying, shooting, working on, customizing, reloading for, shooting 1000 yard matches with, hunting pretty much every big game species on this continent, with MANY different rifles, I can honestly say they are about as good as it gets when it comes to an affordable and dependable and accurate rifle out of the box.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Dumbest statement I have read in all these post on this topic.

"I loved my .243, I only shot one deer with it down in Alabama. I missed the vitals by a long shot, when someone else shot the deer they found my bullet in the bucks spine."

I have never seen a deer go any place with any spine injury. Yes My brother stuck a doe in the spine with an arrow and she laid on the ground kicking but didn't go any place.

Al

I forgot to mention that I was around 12 at the time and shaking pretty darn heavily. Calling me dumb does nothing.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vapodog's experience is probably an exception to what most people experience with the gun. It certainly hasn't been mine. I have a 111 in 30-06 that performs excellently in all respects.

The Savage 110 (the 111 is a variant) routinely makes "greatest guns ever made" lists. Remember, there's a reason that it is the longest selling bolt action rifle in America. It got that by being affordable and shooting very accurately "out of the box."

For awhile there, Savage was setting the pace on factory triggers with the accutrigger. (other companies have caught up since). They still shoot well.

30-06 is a great choice. Can't go wrong. As an added plus, Savages are a piece of cake to rebarrel. DIY types can do it without a lathe.

Do you happen to shoot left handed? if so, Savage is your friend. Savage is one of the few makers that offers left hand guns in the more affordable models, and it dominates the market for lefty bolt guns. By comparison, Remington does not offer the ADL in a lefty, only the much more expensive BDL. That would be a complication in following vapodogs reasoning if you shoot left-handed.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HPNomad
I forgot to mention that I was around 12 at the time and shaking pretty darn heavily. Calling me dumb does nothing.
Don't take it personally, mate; these old guys can come across rough, sometimes---but I assure you most of them mean well.

Lots of experience and good knowledge to be learned on this forum, but if you're not careful, it tends to come in the form of a hammer to the head. Just part of the fun, I guess.

Sounds like you've got a good plan for a rifle. If you decide against the "aught six" and plan to shoot on a budget in the future, bear in mind that not all cartridges have great in-store ammo availability. It's nice to be able to go to Wal-Mart in just about any state and get a box of soft points for well less than $20. You'll only get that with "boring" cartridges like the .30-06, .270, .308 (my cartridge), &c.

Other good cartridges like the 7mm-08, .25-06, 6.5 Swede, &c. aren't always going to be as "boring" to shop for, unfortunately.

Also, once you get back stateside, go to a gun store and cycle the bolt of the guns you're thinking of buying. You want to like the feel of the rifle's action and how it shoulders. Personally, Savage isn't my favorite (though you'll never hear a dispute about their reliability from me). It's just a matter of taste, based on how the bolt feels to me. You might decide you don't like it as much as you thought you might; maybe not.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by younggun308
Don't take it personally, mate; these old guys can come across rough, sometimes---but I assure you most of them mean well.

Lots of experience and good knowledge to be learned on this forum, but if you're not careful, it tends to come in the form of a hammer to the head. Just part of the fun, I guess.

Sounds like you've got a good plan for a rifle. If you decide against the "aught six" and plan to shoot on a budget in the future, bear in mind that not all cartridges have great in-store ammo availability. It's nice to be able to go to Wal-Mart in just about any state and get a box of soft points for well less than $20. You'll only get that with "boring" cartridges like the .30-06, .270, .308 (my cartridge), &c.

Other good cartridges like the 7mm-08, .25-06, 6.5 Swede, &c. aren't always going to be as "boring" to shop for, unfortunately.

Also, once you get back stateside, go to a gun store and cycle the bolt of the guns you're thinking of buying. You want to like the feel of the rifle's action and how it shoulders. Personally, Savage isn't my favorite (though you'll never hear a dispute about their reliability from me). It's just a matter of taste, based on how the bolt feels to me. You might decide you don't like it as much as you thought you might; maybe not.

An outstanding post. As good advice as you can get when choosing a gun.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

there is nothing wrong with Savage rifles. back in the 80's they scaled back in some of their cosmetics to compete with other gun companies. since then they have gotten back to producing better rifles. the model 111 is a good choice. but for $1000.00 id look into a Remington 700 or something comparable. watch for a sale were you might get the rifle and scope as a deal. a 30-06 is a good choice as it will take almost any big game animal here in the US.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
...for $1000.00 id look into a Remington 700 or something comparable. watch for a sale were you might get the rifle and scope as a deal.
Pretty sure a Remington 700 can be had for far less than $1,000. The cheapest ADL models are well under $500 when on sale (with scope), and while nothing fancy (no jeweled bolt, sound a bit clunkier than upper-level 700's) are dependable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.