Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.308 Bullet Grain? >

.308 Bullet Grain?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.308 Bullet Grain?

Old 11-03-2016, 06:22 AM
Spike

Question .308 Bullet Grain?

Ok guys and gals,

I have a Remington 700 .308 with a synthetic stock.

I haven't shot more than one box out of it personally (plan to change that this weekend). My father in law had mine sighted in to get ready for a hunting trip coming up (whitetail deer) and the only bullets that were in my case were 180 grain, as that is all Walmart had the morning I stopped in to purchase last minute before heading to the woods last year.

Needless to say, I haven't even shot 180 grain through my rifle yet. Just recently got the rifle back, and have a 3 week old at home that has me tied up for now.

I didn't even consider the rifle being sighted in with a 180 grain and going back to 150 hurting my accuracy.

I know the 700 in .308 form and a light synthetic stock has some recoil to begin with, but I worry I may flinch with a 180 grain.

I plan on buying a Pachmayr Decelerator Slip-On Pad either way to help with this.

Should I just stick it out with the pad and the 180 grain this year, or should I buy some 150 and see how much my accuracy is affected at the range?

Thoughts?

Also, anyone have a Remington 700 .308 close by that they can measure the butt on so I can go ahead and order the pad, or else I will wait until this afternoon when I get home.

As always, Thanks!
Old 11-03-2016, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO you are unlikely to notice much difference in felt recoil. Factory ammo lowers the muzzle velocity for heavier bullets. Maybe, just a guess, 7-8% more felt recoil with a 180 grain, maybe less.

The 700 isn't a particularly a light rifle which helps mitigate the recoil some.

I shot 150 and 180 out of my model 70 XLR featherweight) and the recoil wasn't all that bad. I really didn't notice much difference.

Bullet strike is going to change mayb 1.5 inches, with a hundred yard zero, at 200 yards. Unless you plan on some really long shots you are unlikely to notice much difference in bullet strike.

Take a moderate breath, exhale slowly with your tongue against your top front teeth, squeeze the trigger slowly, keep your eyes open you'll be fine.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, Congrats to you and the misses on the newborn at home!!!By the sounds of what I am reading is that you are assuming that all 180 will shoot the same. They don't!! If he had it sighted for say Federal 180grn whatevers and you bought Remington 180 whatevers and plan that they will shoot the same. Not good. You need to put it on paper to be positive that they do shoot true and no scope mod's are needed.
2nd. Why do you wish to go to 150's instead of 180 that the weapon was sighted in for to begin with?
Agreed that the rifle may have a bit of a bump when shooting it, but by adding a slip on recoil pad will change your length of pull and make it longer. Just wait till season is over and have a regular pad installed and not have the added length if you don't need it. If you buy a pad from Sims and call them, you can send them the stock and they will install it for you for next to nothing if not free. I have had them install 4 for me and not paid for 1 yet when I bought it from them.
Sounds like you have the right idea to get the gun at range to check the ammo out and see what happens.
All this depends on how much time and money you have to modify things before going hunting.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are hunting deer size animals with the gun 150 grain is more than ebough. If it were me, I would sell the 180s and get some 150s of whatever brand you chose and resight it in for them. I use 150 grn Remington Corelokt in my 308 and they have never let me down.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Spike

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice.

I had a brain fart and didn't realize the 180s that I already had would sight different than 150s, so I didn't buy 150s to switch them out.

I have no problem using the 180s for this season, but just had the perceived notion that they would kick like crazy.

I just ordered the recoil pad, as I wanted an inch on the back of the stock anyhow, and it is cheap enough to confirm if that is what I want.

I will install it and shoot some of the 180s this weekend and confirm back.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Spike

Oh and the gun was sighted in with Winchester Super X 180 grain that I already had and supplied.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good. Just trying from all angles to help out and get you on the right track cheap but efficient as well!!!
Old 11-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Spike

I used a .308 for years deer hunting and always used 180 grain Remington Core-Lokts. The shots were 50 to 75 yards and they always performed great
Old 11-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Out of my Remington rifle, Federal Powershoks perform the best (give them a try in either grain sometime; they're cheaper than Core-Lokts, in most cases).

For now, though, I wouldn't use different ammo than you've got, since you're already sighted in with it. The best thing you can do is go into the woods with confidence knowing how your rifle will shoot.
Just like MudderChuck, I honestly cannot say I noticed a difference in recoil when I shot both 150 and 180 grain loads some years ago. A 180 grain bullet will neither punish your shoulder, nor excessively damage meat. Later on you can re-sight in to 150 grain, if you want.
I prefer the 150 when deer hunting because I like its trajectory better than the 180 and, as Oldtimr said, it is more than adequate for CPX2 game like deer.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do Remington Core-Lokts still work - LOL ?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.