Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Clogged shotgun barrell >

Clogged shotgun barrell

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Clogged shotgun barrell

Old 10-16-2016, 05:40 AM
Spike

Default Clogged shotgun barrell

So my 12 year old that hunts with me decided it would be a good idea to clean the inside of my Remington 1100 barrell by using a Remington wipe and then pushing it down the barrell with a couple pencils. However the pencils are jammed down inside the barrell pretty good and are stuck. Any ideas?
Old 10-16-2016, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Google the model 1100 dis assembly and pull the barrel and use a ram from the rear and push the pencils out the barrel. Then find a way to secure your guns from the children. Even though a 12 year old may be old enough to hunt with you they don't have the maturity to have access to unsecured guns...IMO of course. All my guns are secured in a safe and my CC piece when not on my person is secured in a digital handgun safe in a nightstand..and all my kids are grown up and out of the house.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 10-16-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, remove the barrel and push the blockage out from the breech end with a cleaning rod or wooden dowel.

For the 1100, screw off the magazine cap, pull the forend forward towards the muzzle to slide it off, pull the barrel out of the receiver. Done. Reverse to reinstall.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:40 AM
Spike

Tried it, the pencils are wedges together inside the barrell(side by side), I think it's gonna require more force.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Wooden dowel from the breach end brace the barrel and tap with a hammer. Hard to believe it can't be forced out. You could also drill out the pencils.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would tend to agree with both of the above sentiment stances regarding a 12yr old and firearms.

By the time I was 12, I also had my own firearms, stored in my own gun cabinet in my closet - so I'm not a person to say a 12yr old is unfit to have access to firearms.

HOWEVER!!!

Since this particular instance occurred, it's clear your 12yr old needs more instruction on handling and firearms care. The intent to clean on their own is a good indication they have some understanding of responsible firearms care (& ownership), but they also obviously don't have an understanding of how to do it properly.

So if your 12yr old is going to continue to have access to firearms, at any level, they need more instruction on how to handle and care for firearms.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

When I was 12 I had a shotgun a Stevens bolt action .410. I hunted with it and cleaned it myself but at that age was always under control of my father. The situation the OP described would be troubling if it happened at my house.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

So far, I have agreed with all responses to this post in regards to how to remove the blockage and all and for why the weapons were not put up for this to happen without being under your direct supervision.
But what I feel that someone hasn't said so far is to take it to a gunsmith. For is he has 2 pencils jammed that hard, how did he/she get them that crammed in to the barrel in the first place with that much force?
Second, thank god they had the piece of mind to tell you and not get scared and just put it back and god only knows what the final outcome of that would have been!!! Wish you the best out of this. I personally would not drive them out the choke end of the barrel for the barrel will taper slightly making it harder to remove. Use a wooden dowel rod slightly smaller than the barrels diameter and drive them out from the choke end towards the chamber end.
Take the barrel off, spray some gun lubricant into the barrel to lube the contents slightly. Place dowel into barrel from choke end and slightly tap down onto the floor. Place a piece of heavy carpet or on a carpeted floor and it should dislodge shortly without damage.

Last edited by SecondChance; 10-16-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Wooden dowel from the breach end brace the barrel and tap with a hammer. Hard to believe it can't be forced out. You could also drill out the pencils.
How would you drill them out?
Old 10-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Stets656
How would you drill them out?
Long bit?!?!? I couldn't resist!!!! My therapist says Im doing better!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.