Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Inheritance from my grandfather >

Inheritance from my grandfather

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Inheritance from my grandfather

Old 09-28-2016, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Have you cleaned all the copper out of that 300. JB bore paste or wipe out foaming bore cleaner work well. If you have done this you might switch the scope. If all these were done I would contact Weatherby about a rebarrel.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
And that 10mm being in DAO not a carry weapon? Why not?
I didn't say that it's unsuitable as a defensive handgun because it's double action only, I said it's unsuitable as a hunting handgun for that reason.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bpd1982
Have you cleaned all the copper out of that 300. JB bore paste or wipe out foaming bore cleaner work well. If you have done this you might switch the scope.
I tried all that a few years ago. It's definitely the barrel.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, lot of really nice pieces there. Rebarrel that .300 and go shoot something with it!
-Jake
Old 09-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

First off my condolences to you and your family. My grandfather was my mentor in everything outdoors and I still miss him terribly. But unlike you, I didn't receive anything from him because he had three sons of his own. I will be getting his Blackhawk should my last remaining uncle pass before me.
That is a fine collection of firearms you inherited. I too like that Model 7. And like SH said it a shame about the Weatherby. Maybe if you talk to them and play the pity card they might rebarrel it for you for free!!
Old 09-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry for your loss I feel your pain as I lost my Granddad this year as well and He is missed greatly. That is an awesome collection of weapons he left for you. I would contact Wetherby and let them know you have a shotout rifle. I know that Ruger refurbished my buddies shotout blackhawk for free. They love getting older firearms back that have been heavily shot. They may or may not do it for free, but it is worth a shot and it may be a much smaller fee then taking to a smith to rebarrel.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice collection there!!! Enjoy!!!
Old 10-01-2016, 04:46 AM
Banned

sorry to hear of your loss. you have my condolences.

great set of guns there . it is a shame about the weatherby. a new barrel is an option as others have mentioned . I believe if it was me, I would probably leave it as it is and retire that old gun. it would hang above my fireplace beside a picture of my grandfather, where I would see it every day and remember the times we shared.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

That .260 Model 7 would be my go-to gun for 80% or more of my hunting. Great rifle, great round.

And the rest of the collection is sweet. You have the privilege of re-barreling your Granddad's Weatherby ... Good luck with the arsenal. Very nice batch of firearms.