Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tikka T3X Lite, Hunter or Forest? >

Tikka T3X Lite, Hunter or Forest?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka T3X Lite, Hunter or Forest?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Spike

Default Tikka T3X Lite, Hunter or Forest?

Hey what's up guys I'm new here. I'm looking to get into deer hunting and I'm trying to figure out which rifle to get, I'll be hunting in California, Utah and Texas. I'm not sure which model I should go with, I hear good and bad things about the synthetic stock compared to the wood stock. Local shops have told me that the walnut will expand due to change of altitude and humidity when hunting in other states and may damage the barrel. Is this true? I really like the classic look of the wood stock but I just don't know which way I should go. I would like to get it in a .270 caliber.
Thanks!
Old 09-02-2016, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Walnut is the preferred wood for gunstocks for centuries because of it's stability as well as it's beauty. Most, if not all, factory stocks are sealed inside as well as outside to insure there are no significant changes due to moisture. Unless you leave your rifle out in a ranging downpour, you probably aren't going to see a change in POI due to swelling or shrinking. And certainly not enough to "damage your barrel". My BS meter got pegged on that one. All the areas you mentioned are generally dry. The concern is overstated.The flip side of the issue is that some synthetic stocks get "floppy" when they get warm, causing accuracy to suffer.
By the way, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Wingbone; 09-02-2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Proud owner of a Tikka T-3 lite Stainless in .223.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

It won't damage your barrel, but if the action isn't properly blocked and bedded and free floated, it can change your POI. But agreed, that's dependent upon a pretty significant change in humidity.

I block and bed & free float all of mine, so even though they're in wood, I never have to worry about my POI shifting.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:40 PM
Spike

Thanks guys! I think I've pretty much made my decision, I'm going to go with the hunter now it's time to choose a scope for it? How do you guys feel about Leupold scopes? I've been eyeballing the vx3 lately
Old 09-03-2016, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tim801
How do you guys feel about Leupold scopes? I've been eyeballing the vx3 lately
They're "top shelf". Good choice.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

I've got a Leupold 3-9x40mm scope on my 270, and I've used it on game from 30 to 290 yards. A similar Nikon would also serve you well.

Last edited by TN Lone Wolf; 09-03-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am a Burris guy (IMO bigger bang for your buck), but there is nothing wrong with Leupold.

Now that Leupold has Redfield for their entry level scopes, the Leupold line really does mean quality !!!
Old 09-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site. I would typically say that you have nothing to worry about a wood stock. If you're concerned you can get it bedded and make sure your barrel is free floated and nothing to worry about. The Leupold is a fine choice. There's some fantastic hunting in the areas you'll be. Enjoy!
-Jake
Old 09-16-2016, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

A Tikka Hunter in .270 and a Leupold scope is a combination that will last you a lifetime. Excellent choices on all. Probably the only thing I would have done differently was git it in a 30-06. Nothing wrong with the .270 (I love that cartridge and killed a lot of game with it) but the old 06 is a bit more versatile if you plan on taking bigger game. But then again, that would be reason enough to get another rifle....

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-16-2016 at 05:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.