Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New to high powered rifles - shoulder pain >

New to high powered rifles - shoulder pain

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New to high powered rifles - shoulder pain

Old 08-09-2016, 08:02 AM
Spike

Default New to high powered rifles - shoulder pain

Hi there,

I am getting ready for rifle deer season which starts on November 12. I've never hunt before, but always wanted to. My grandfather was a really good deer hunter, but my dad never let me go with him as he didn't like firearms... So I was never taught to fire a high powered rifle.

After some research I got a used model 70, winchester .270 in pristine conditions. I've been hitting the range with my rifle every week, as I want to be very confident with my marksmanship before going hunting with a seasoned friend.

I started at 25 yards (offhand) and decided to move to 50 yards recently as I am getting my shots at 25 yards with pretty good accuracy.

Here's the thing. everytime before I go on to stand up position, I sit on the bench and do 3 shots for zeroing the scope. Then a 4th shot after zeroing to check my zeroing. All my shots when I do it on the bench are extremely close, less than 1 inch, so I know I am doing this right. Now, that 4th shot ALWAYS kicks. First, second, and third, I feel barely any recoil, but that 4th one always gets me; feels like a hard punch on my upper shoulder.

Then I stand up, and get the real practice off-hand. I don't feel any recoil when practicing on this position. I mean, the rifle obviously recoils, but it doesn't hit me, feels as if somebody simply pushes me a bit with an open palm, rather than a "punch".

Few hours after shooting I have localized pain on my upper shoulder, and it is quite tender to touch. This pain lasts the whole day and it is a bit annoying. There is no redness, or anything on my shoulder, just the localized pain. My question is, could I be doing wrong with my form when shooting from the bench? or is this pain normal for this kind of rifle and I just have to live with it?

I don't mind the pain if I have to live with it, but if it is an indication of bad form I would like to correct it now.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would appear from what you're describing that you aren't getting the butt of the gun down into your shoulder pocket where it's mostly flesh when the butt pushes back against you. The modest recoil of a .270 should not cause what you're experiencing unless the butt is up too high and is hitting the bony part of your shoulder, rather than down somewhat tight in the fleshy shoulder pocket where it should always be.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

I like to use one of these when shoot a bunch for practice.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Mag-.../dp/B0013R8J48
Old 08-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

You don't have the butt stock in the correct position after you shoot the first few shots or, and this happens on the bench quite a bit to inexperienced shooters, you are not pulling the gun into our shoulder and have a gap between the stock and your shoulder which caused the stock to hit your shoulder instead of just pushing on it. Hold the rifle tight and close to you like you are holding your lover.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-09-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Spike

Hi all, and thanks for your reply. I do have a few more questions. I think the butt is a little higher than it should be, the reason is, if I bring it lower I have to bring my head down. Is there anything I could do about this?. I am pretty sure I am pulling the gun into my shoulder.

A question about the .270 win. I have heard that before, that it has less recoil than a 30-06. But how is this possible, if the cartridge is the same, it should build the same pressure right? or at least recoil should be pretty close, considering the rifles are the same.

I would really like to avoid wearing a pad, the pain is there to tell me something about my form, so I like the pain to be there until I fix my form.

I wish I had a picture. But here is one I found online of a guy holding a gun pretty much like I do, cause I've seen myself in the mirror. Notice the butt how it sticks up a little bit (same thing with me). My cheek is pretty much where his cheek is, maybe a little further behind. He looks like he is leaning back, I don't see that leaning on myself. And his left hand is pretty far back, I usually have it forward. What do you notice is wrong on this picture?. If I can I'll make my wife take a picture of me holding my rifle, and post if here later today. I still think the problem is on the bench though.

Pain is on the upper right, between chest and arm, right below the shoulder bone; it is pretty localized. It really sounds like my shoulder bone is taking all the energy... Thanks and sorry for my inexperience. Just trying to get better at this

Last edited by entropy4money; 08-09-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

What grn bullets are you shooting. A .270 shouldn't be hurting you if you hold the gun correctly. It sounds to me like you are taking the recoil on your collar bone which has very little flesh to absorb the recoil. If that is what is happening to you you are holding the gun too high. Since the picture you showed is not you it is hard to say but it sure sounds like you are holding your gun wrong. Extend your left arm out in front of you if you are right handed, the opposite arm if you are left handed. then with your left hand feel for the pocket between your pectoral and your shoulder. That is where your butt stock should sit, it doesn't matter if you have to lay your cheek down on the stock to see the sights or scope, that is normal. Since no two people are build exactly the same you will have to experiment to find your sweet spot and then practice enough to develop muscle memory so every time you raise your rifle it goes to the same place.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
What grn bullets are you shooting. A .270 shouldn't be hurting you if you hold the gun correctly. It sounds to me like you are taking the recoil on your collar bone which has very little flesh to absorb the recoil. If that is what is happening to you you are holding the gun too high. Since the picture you showed is not you it is hard to say but it sure sounds like you are holding your gun wrong. Extend your left arm out in front of you if you are right handed, the opposite arm if you are left handed. then with your left hand feel for the pocket between your pectoral and your shoulder. That is where your butt stock should sit, it doesn't matter if you have to lay your cheek down on the stock to see the sights or scope, that is normal. Since no two people are build exactly the same you will have to experiment to find your sweet spot and then practice enough to develop muscle memory so every time you raise your rifle it goes to the same place.
130 gr. It definitely sounds like I am not holding my rifle right. Again I don't feel any pain, or impact off-hand. It only happens when I am sitting on the bench, zeroing my rifle. I'll make sure I get that rifle in the pocket next time!. And I'll post a picture off-hand when I can to improve form mistakes that I might have.

Thank you!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 270 and a 30/06, and recoil is pretty much the same, if shooting the same weight bullets. If shooting 150 grain in both, the recoil should be about the same. However, you are shooting 130 grain, whereas 150 grain is the lightest bullet that is commonly used in the 30/06, so in your case it could be said that the 270 does in fact kick less than the 30/06.

The trick I have found for shooting from a bench is to sit low enough that when you shoot you're not bending over, but sitting upright. That way the butt of the rifle will be where it's supposed to be, just like when you are standing up. Lately I've been using a plastic milk crate to sit on, as it is only about 12 inches high. Not the most comfortable, but my shoulder doesn't get sore when i use it to sit on. What would be better is a taller table but for me the easiest solution was to simply sit lower.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bdan68
I have a 270 and a 30/06, and recoil is pretty much the same, if shooting the same weight bullets. If shooting 150 grain in both, the recoil should be about the same. However, you are shooting 130 grain, whereas 150 grain is the lightest bullet that is commonly used in the 30/06, so in your case it could be said that the 270 does in fact kick less than the 30/06.

The trick I have found for shooting from a bench is to sit low enough that when you shoot you're not bending over, but sitting upright. That way the butt of the rifle will be where it's supposed to be, just like when you are standing up. Lately I've been using a plastic milk crate to sit on, as it is only about 12 inches high. Not the most comfortable, but my shoulder doesn't get sore when i use it to sit on. What would be better is a taller table but for me the easiest solution was to simply sit lower.
Hi bdan. yeah this sort of explain things. The thing is, here where I live in VT, the only state regulated gun range is 2.5hrs away from where I live. We have too many guns and no place to shoot them... However, there is this place, 10 mins away from home, privately owned land where the owners made a gun range and let people shoot for free and ask only for a small donation. This is literally where everyone goes to shoot... the benches are just picnic like tables, and are pretty uncomfortable, so I bet this is where the wrong is happening. I'll see if I can find a wooden box or small bench and bring it with me and see how it goes.

lots of good advice. I'll work on it, thanks everyone.

Last edited by entropy4money; 08-09-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot on public state forest land only a few miles from my house, and I use a plastic, folding table, and the plastic milk crate as my stool. I usually go with my brother and he brings his chronograph, and we use my spotting scope on a tripod to view the targets 100 yards away.

I can see why you're having an issue if you're shooting from something similar to a picnic table. For me, I need my seat to be separate so that I can adjust where I'm sitting in relation to what I'm resting my gun on.

You might try bringing some blocks of wood or anything else that you could use to raise your rifle up, if you continue to use the tables that are provided at the shooting range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.