Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New to high powered rifles - shoulder pain >

New to high powered rifles - shoulder pain

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New to high powered rifles - shoulder pain

Old 08-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest skipping the 4th shot and go directly to the 5th shot
Old 08-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

don't make your whole body stiff while shooting, let yourself roll with the recoil. If your all tensed up your absorbing every oz. of recoil. a good pad will change it a bunch.
RR
Old 08-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
I would suggest skipping the 4th shot and go directly to the 5th shot
There always has to be one wiseacre in the crowd, LOL!

To the OP: The guy in the picture you posted has the butt way too high up on the bone, rather than buried down solid in the fleshy pocket of his shoulder like I and Oldtimr told you is the proper way. With that steel buttplate on his rifle I'd be surprised if he isn't in some real pain in the upper bony area after just a couple shots and it's certainly not the way to shoulder a rifle or shotgun. If you are equating that to what you are doing, there is your easy answer why you're hurting. I would not be shooting without having some padding up in your shoulder area, especially this warm time of the year when you might go the the range with just a light weight shirt on. The pad in the link the other member posted would be good or make your own, but especially remember to get the gun DOWN into your fleshy area and not up like in that picture. It also sounds like your problem is compounded by the makeshift benches at that private place you go to. You need to sit at the proper height to get everything into position so you can lean forward and have the butt into your shoulder and not above it.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-09-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Spike

Hey guys, so I convinced my wife to take a few pictures with unloaded gun, open action (it is always stored like this of course). So it is not as high as the guy on the picture I guess, and this is how it feels "comfortable and natural". I went to the table then as if I was on the "bench" and noticed I brought the rifle much more towards my chest, and a bit higher. So bench is probably the problem. Anyway, here are the pictures. Critiques very welcome!, I am a total noob and now is the time to fix wrong form. Thx for all your help!

Last edited by entropy4money; 08-09-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks good and where it should be down in your shoulder pocket! You don't need to store the rifle with the bolt open if that's what you've been doing. Just squeeze the trigger on it and keep it squeezed and when you close and lower the bolt it will release the spring and go into the uncocked position. Never leave one with it cocked, as it will normally weaken the spring over time.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-09-2016 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
There always has to be one wiseacre in the crowd, LOL!

To the OP: The guy in the picture you posted has the butt way too high up on the bone, rather than buried down solid in the fleshy pocket of his shoulder like I and Oldtimr told you is the proper way. With that steel buttplate on his rifle I'd be surprised if he isn't in some real pain in the upper bony area after just a couple shots and it's certainly not the way to shoulder a rifle or shotgun. If you are equating that to what you are doing, there is your easy answer why you're hurting. I would not be shooting without having some padding up in your shoulder area, especially this warm time of the year when you might go the the range with just a light weight shirt on. The pad in the link the other member posted would be good or make your own, but especially remember to get the gun DOWN into your fleshy area and not up like in that picture. It also sounds like your problem is compounded by the makeshift benches at that private place you go to. You need to sit at the proper height to get everything into position so you can lean forward and have the butt into your shoulder and not above it.
Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
sLooks good and where it should be down in your shoulder pocket! You don't need to store the rifle with the bolt open if that's what you've been doing. Just squeeze the trigger on it and keep it squeezed and when you close and lower the bolt it will release the spring and go into the uncocked position. Never leave one with it cocked, as it will normally weaken the spring over time.
Alright thanks. I didn't know you could store the gun like that. Well i am glad i posted here, you guys have been very helpful. Problem is definitely on the bench. This explains why i felt no pain on stand up position and why it felt more natural. Now i know where the butt should go.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good! Come back and tell us how you did the next time out! Also, try that when you store your rifle, as that takes all the tension off the firing pin spring. Some rifles will not allow you to do that, but you can close the bolt and then fire the gun with no shell in the chamber and doing that once in a while to let the tension off the spring normally does no harm. A shotgun should also not be stored with the gun cocked for the same reason.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-09-2016 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remember to lean forward with more weight on your front leg.

As you would to throw a punch.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

You can buy a shooting vest with pockets to place gel packs in. MY wife uses one when she is shooting her shot gun on the clays course.

You can also add a good decent recoil reducing pad to the butt of the rifle.
https://kickeezproducts.com/
http://www.pachmayr.com/home/prefit-pads.php

You can also build a shooting bench that is portable, One shown is the booger bench if you do a internet search you should be able to find the plans. If not I have the sizes for the cuts and such stored.

I also built the wood rest for sighting in scopes as a protype for a metal one. The wood one with some minor changes worked so well I never did build a metal one.

Another thing is plan old home made cross sticks. I never go out coyote hunting with out a set. Best use for golf clubs I have found is to remove the shafts and make a set of cross sticks for prone shooting. Also use big rubber bands like found around asparagus to bind ski poles together to make a set of cross sticks.
https://www.prbullet.com/stix.htm

Found on varmint al's web site.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 08-10-2016 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Getting too close to the scope on the bench is a common problem. This happens because the gun and your body/ head isn't in the same place as when you are shooting off hand. I suspect as others have stated that the position shooting off the bench is wrong. Good accuracy comes with repeating everything that is right as close as possible. My suggestion is to try to duplicate the gun position from off hand when on the bench. The more you shoot the better you will get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.