Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Grandson's first time shooting off hand.  @25 yards >

Grandson's first time shooting off hand. @25 yards

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Grandson's first time shooting off hand. @25 yards

Old 08-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Grandson's first time shooting off hand. @25 yards

My granson has been shooting his deer rifle from the bench for that last couple of years where he zings them right in the center of the target. He has missed a couple of deer he shouldn't have missed. I thought about it and was sure it wasn't buck fever and I figured it was my fault because I did not dwell on off hand shooting. This morning we went to the range and he fired 2 rounds from the bench to check the rifle, then we went to all offhand for the rest of the box at 25 yards. He would shoot three then we checked the target and I would mark the holes He dropped 4 low and put one in the neck but the rest were all kill shots after he got the hang of it. It looks lit a hit low in the leg but that is a flaw in the target. Those low shots were from when he didn't lower the gun when he started to move around too much and didn't lower the gun, rest his arms and start over. There are more holes in the target than it appears because he has several double hits in the same hole I think he did really well for the first time, more sessions to come before Oct. Here is the pic of his target.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-08-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

Good job<bud>
Old 08-08-2016, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Your doing the right thing. Now let him try it at 25 & 50 yards. Once he settled in at 50, he's ready to go as long as he keeps his shots within his limits.
Can't tell ya how many time I see guys at the range shooting from a rest and getting just several shots in the black out of a box of 20 and say they are good to go.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, I just noticed the title of my thread says 5 yards. The distance is in fact 25 yards and I will edit it now.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Was that with the .243 you got him that you're trying to find a hinged floor plate for?
Old 08-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, that was the rifle.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

nothing like working with kids, you find yourself frustrated, almost ready to call it off, them bang it clicks and they shoot better than us. been there done that, had my butt handed to me on a plate by a 10 year old that I taught to shoot.......at 1100 hundred yards.
RR