Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I need some info regarding a Savage 110L rifle >

I need some info regarding a Savage 110L rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need some info regarding a Savage 110L rifle

Old 08-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default I need some info regarding a Savage 110L rifle

I bought one private sale for my grandson in .243 it is a good shooter but there is something I would like to change on it for safety reasons. Do you gun gurus know if there is an after market drop down floor plate for Savage 110s. The one I got for him has a fixed floor plate and as you know he has to jack the loaded shells out one at a time through the action which is an opportunity for an accidental discharge and I would like to put a hinged floor plate on it if they are available. I don't want to replace the stock, it is nice walnut and finely checkered forearm and pistol grip. I did poke around on the net and found some for Winchester but none for Savage.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm pretty sure there are some DBM's made for savages, might be pricey, but they are of excellent quality.
RR
Old 08-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It also depends on the year of manufacture, this info may be of some help
http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...gazine-Systems
RR
Old 08-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I couldn't find anything on the net for a .243 and the ones that were available for other calibers are mostly for long actions and are well over $200. Maybe the way to handle it until he gets some time in the field is to have no more than one round in the magazine so it cuts down on booboos while unloading it. There probably isn't any reason why he would need more than one in there anyway. It's funny that in all the years I've hunted I've never unloaded any of my rifles through the floor plate, but rather just through the action while I known the barrel is pointed in a safe direction.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only use the floor-plate drop at the end of the day just to make sure there isn't any twigs, dirt, grass, or anything in the magazine. Just drill into him the safe way of unloading it and he should be fine. Just run drills (something you probably do anyway) on proper unloading procedures. I'll check a few of my sources for Savage parts and see if anyone has something laying around but it more than likely isn't going to be a cheap part.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys, I checked what RR recommended and all I found was detachable magazine replacements for fixed floor plates and none of them for a 243. I know the gun is an older gun, it has a steel butt plate and the ser# is in the low 25 thousands, I may give Savage a call or maybe Brownell's or Midway to see if this is possible without the price of a new gun.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

SH, we started safety drills a long time ago and they are continuing. I have just seen to many accidents in my past career and I try to lessen the possibility. Even though he doesn't have one, I have taught him how to unload a pump and semi shotgun without running the shells through the action which is the way I do it. I am not hopeful that I will be able to accomplish what I would like to do without custom work, expensive custom work. I appreciate everyone's input.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-07-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

old, go to seekins precision, he has his own cnc machine, he will bend over backwards for ya, maybe he can helpyou, I've dealt with glen for years, there is no better at what he does.
RR
Old 08-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks RR.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dug in my safes and took a look at a couple of rifles and got to thinking. ( I know dangerous) But I think you will have to do some inletting on the stock if you want to convert that. Probably have to get some milling done to the receiver bottom as well.