Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Recoil is not your enemy >

Recoil is not your enemy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil is not your enemy

Old 08-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Recoil is not your enemy

Well, I was going to sit here today and write up a small article about recoil and while doing a bit of research (something I like to do before writing anything) I ran across an article that I think everyone on this forum should sit down and read if they are into shooting anything bigger than an 06. I sometimes (actually most times nowadays) find myself sleepless for a few days and just get in the mood to write down thoughts and such. But after reading this article, I found I didn't need to write a thing as most everything I wanted to say is already here. It's a very interesting read and about as spot on correct as a human can be. Enjoy

http://recoilisnotyourenemy.blogspot.com/
Old 08-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for sharing it's true for sure I was shooting my 25/06 then switched to my 35 Whelen and it did seem to kick a lot more than it did last time I shot it. I'll get my mind right next time I'm at the range
Old 08-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

There's one thing the author mentioned in that article that I can really attest to: shooting an even harder kicking gun. I used to be kind of scared of my 270's recoil, but after firing about half a dozen 3" 12 gauge turkey loads, the 270 didn't bother me at all anymore.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

What the author mainly discussed was stock design and it's importance in FELT recoil. I have a few European and English made doubles in various "dangerous game" cartridges that were made back when true craftsmanship meant something. You can most definitely tell the difference in felt recoil because of the natural shoulder placement. The balance in those rifles is unequaled in today's designs and that lends to better shouldering and target acquisition as well.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:45 AM
Typical Buck

More power to you people who want or need to shoot a large caliper rifle for a hunt in ,say ,Africa. To just shoot one of them,no way!
As John Wayne once said in a movie, "A MAN HAS TO KNOW HIS LIMITS."
Old 08-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

To each his own as they say. For my hunting the 30-06s will do anything I need them to do, especially when hand loading.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mounting man
More power to you people who want or need to shoot a large caliper rifle for a hunt in ,say ,Africa. To just shoot one of them,no way!
As John Wayne once said in a movie, "A MAN HAS TO KNOW HIS LIMITS."
X2! If you like recoil and/or need more firepower for big game, have at it! I've had magnumitis before but, I have been cured! Anything smaller than large bears do not need Howitzer performance! A lots of cartridges up to the '06 will kill 'em just as dead!

MM, I'm thinking that was a Clint Eastwood line!
Old 08-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

That was a Clint Eastwood line, from Magnum Force "A man has to know his limitations"!

If recoil is a concern, maybe you should consider taking up knitting - LOL
Old 08-07-2016, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
That was a Clint Eastwood line, from Magnum Force "A man has to know his limitations"!

If recoil is a concern, maybe you should consider taking up knitting - LOL

Well I certainly can't handle recoil as well as I used to. Age and shoulder injuries takes it's toll on a fella. Even with proper stocks my "big boys" will put a wollup on you. I've never had "magnumitis" and have never really felt the NEED for magnum firearms except in handgun hunting. But as a collector, ones collection just isn't complete without some of the truly well made doubles from the past generations of rifles made when it was an art form. And I do love to play with them occasionally, just not on the bench. No matter how well formed a stock is, bench positions as well as prone, just do NOT lend to heavy recoil. Well except for seated at the bench in a straight up position with the rifle rested on high bags or some such where the rifle can be mounted in the pocket where it belongs. My Krieghoff double chambered in .500 NE will make a mewling mouse out of you if you don't have her held just like she likes. But if you hold her right, she is pretty much a pleasure to shoot. I screwed up the first time I shot it, I benched it like an idiot and my shoulder paid a pretty high price for that little goof
Old 08-15-2016, 12:06 AM
Typical Buck

Whoops ! My mind isn't what it once was! But,i am pretty sure,John Wayne told Clint that would be a good line to use in a movie!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.