Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Recoil is not your enemy >

Recoil is not your enemy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil is not your enemy

Old 08-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always enjoy reading articles about proper stock fitting, but to be honest, I've never read one which left me satisfied - All of these articles pontificate the aspects of stock design which affect felt recoil, but none actually advise on how to change stock fit to reduce shooter abuse. Multiple stock designs can "fit" a shooter just fine, contrary to popular belief, but some will be more stable for precision shooting in different positions while some will be nicer to the shooter for heavy recoil.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I always enjoy reading articles about proper stock fitting, but to be honest, I've never read one which left me satisfied - All of these articles pontificate the aspects of stock design which affect felt recoil, but none actually advise on how to change stock fit to reduce shooter abuse. Multiple stock designs can "fit" a shooter just fine, contrary to popular belief, but some will be more stable for precision shooting in different positions while some will be nicer to the shooter for heavy recoil.

Yep, some are better designed for say bench rest and prone while others are more suited for off hand or kneeling. Any good custom stock fitter should ask you the purpose for the rifle as well as favorite position. The majority, in my opinion anyway, rests on form of the shooter themselves while the stock design lends to that form. A good stock that is fitted to you will help in your natural positioning for reduction of felt recoil.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

While I've never shot anything bigger than a 460 Weatherby I would like to some day. These days about the biggest thing I shoot is my Marlin Cowboy .45-70 which I load up with some pretty stout loads approaching 458 Win.
That was a very interesting article however.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Someday I WILL build a 505 Gibbs... I love the .458WM & Lott, love the .416Rig and .470NE even more, but There's just something about the 505 which calls to me.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Someday I WILL build a 505 Gibbs... I love the .458WM & Lott, love the .416Rig and .470NE even more, but There's just something about the 505 which calls to me.
Just save your pennys (okay save anything from a broken 100) and get you a Westley Richards!! They build them off K98 Mauser actions and boy do they make absolutely BEAUTIFUL pieces!! Example:

Or go all out and get you one of the highest quality doubles made in England (including H&H) like one of these beauties:

One of them is on my "mommie may I" list after I recover from all these dang doc bills! I've been drooling over them for a few years now.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not adverse to $20,000 rifles. Not sure what action it'll be yet when I build the 505, but it'll be a custom job, and most likely a take-down, including an adjustable comb to jump between the irons and QD scope.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to their site buddy. They have take down bolt actions! And they are absolutely beautiful too. A fella just needs to have at least one hand made European beauty in his collection to make it more complete. I got really lucky with a couple getting them dirt cheap in comparison to what their actual value was!