Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7x57mm??

Old 07-28-2016, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 7x57mm??

I don't really have a point to this thread, other than curiosity and fond remembrance. Pulled an older 700 of mine out last weekend which I hadn't shot in several years (10-12?), a restocked ADL in 7mm Mauser. I reminisced briefly over this rifle, one which I had bought effectively as a mid to long range training rifle; low recoil, good ballistics, cheap to load... But since then I've mostly shot smaller bore or larger case stuff, and this one got neglected...

I thought about dusting off my old box of brass and pressing some to play with again.

Then it occurred to me, I haven't heard jack squat about the 7 Mauser in almost as many years. Took a look online, doesn't look like Savage, Remington, Ruger, or Tikka are chambering for it any more even, or at least I couldn't find a models listed in it at any of their sites. Midway only lists a dozen loads, less than they have for the less functional 300 blackout! Other than running on the short side to capitalize upon its long action, I've never thought the 7mauser lacked anything to many of the more popular or more recent cartridges like 7-08, 6.5creed, .260 & .280 rem... Just a solid, proven, good shooting, all around capable cartridge...

So - as they say - WTF? Where did all of the 7mm Mausers go?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still have one, a stock 1908 Brazilian Mauser which I have never shot.

I remember when the 7X57 was a respected caliber, nearly as capable as our 30-06 with a little less recoil. Some beautiful rifles were made for it in years long past, Bell even used the 7X57 on elephants. Now there are rifle calibers that seem to be inventions just to sell rifles, or at least barrels. I mourn the excellent old calibers that are being replaced. The 7X57 is certainly a good one.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

Then it occurred to me, I haven't heard jack squat about the 7 Mauser in almost as many years. Took a look online, doesn't look like Savage, Remington, Ruger, or Tikka are chambering for it any more even, or at least I couldn't find a models listed in it at any of their sites. Midway only lists a dozen loads,......
People sometimes purchase cartridges to be unique from others. Based on its lack of recent mention, it may fall into the unique category. With its trophied past, it's so much more. That caliber is as good as it's ever been. I would be proud to own one. There would be much joy in shooting/using it! (A prized jewel)
Old 07-28-2016, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

My cousin has a 7x57mm 98 Mauser that his dad got him a few years back. He said he'd love to shoot it more if he could find ammunition for it. I offered to handload for it, but he declined.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:48 AM
Spike

Plenty of ammo available:
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...ategoryId/195?
Old 07-29-2016, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

If you hang out on shooting forums where they hunt a lot of antelope white tail and such size animals you will read a lot about the 7x57 that the older fellows use.

Al
Old 07-29-2016, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great round. My first gun purchase was a 1903 Steyr Mannlicher in 7 X 57 , and I still have it today. Bought it in 1967 when I was 14 yrs old (from my gunsmith grandfather) and paid $74.00. Really needs a barrel as it is a bit shot out, but still can manage 4" groups at 100yrds with iron sites. Never had the inclination to have the split receiver drilled and tapped. But, now that I'm retired and have a little walking money I'm considering having it "prettied up".

Sweetheart of a round to shoot. And I have a few pet loads that it used to really like. It's just that my older eyes can't appreciate what the gun is capable of anymore without using optics.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 07-29-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
If you hang out on shooting forums where they hunt a lot of antelope white tail and such size animals you will read a lot about the 7x57 that the older fellows use.
I'm not surprised at all to hear that, but as much as I enjoy the old 7mauser, hopefully it'll find a resurgence among the younger fellows too.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

The old 7mm Mauser is a great deer cartridge. But alas, I believe it is a dying chambering in today's rifles. IMO the 7mm-08 took over this niche nicely. I wouldn't trade in my 7mm Mauser (if I had one) for a 7-08. The newer cartridge has a slight edge in velocity but nothing I would consider sufficient.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
My cousin has a 7x57mm 98 Mauser that his dad got him a few years back. He said he'd love to shoot it more if he could find ammunition for it. I offered to handload for it, but he declined.
Is this the one who disapproves of reloading? If so tell him if he wants to spend more money for inferior ammo have at it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.