Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How to build and register an AR pistol. >

How to build and register an AR pistol.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How to build and register an AR pistol.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Spike

Default How to build and register an AR pistol.

I would like to build an AR pistol from an 80% lower and then register it in my name. Is this possible? From what I understand it needs to be built as a single shot break barrel, bullet button and magwell blocked, no gas tube and a plug where the buffer tube would go just to make sure the bolt can't be cycled. Once the 80% is completed I would stamp it with all the correct information and serial number (marked pistol) and I would then like to register it in my name. After it is registered I would then be able to convert it to a semi auto with bullet button and 10 rd. mag and sig brace, correct? Where would I go to register this firearm? I was told by one source that I could go do a voluntary registration at my local sheriff station, fill out some forms? Is this all possible or necessary? Again the main reason I want to register said firearm is so it comes up as a legitimate pistol if the number is run and I don't have to explain to law enforcement that I built this myself and why it is not illegal. If it is registered I won't have to worry about documenting that it was built as a single shot first, correct? It should also be legal for carry with a CCW if I am able to get that one day. Not holding my breath on that one, but would like the option of carrying this in a vehicle if it does someday happen. Any advise is welcome and very appreciated.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I suggest that if the Sheriff is the guy you have to register with that you talk to him. I would put no faith in nameless faceless people on the internet for information that may or may not be correct and might get me into serious trouble.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

without knowing you location and more details we really can't answer your question. And as OT said... with something like this you don't want answers from us anyway. I also suggest going to talk with the Sheriff... chances are they won't know either but should be able to point you in the right direction.
-Jake
Old 07-16-2016, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

State or Federal authorities are the ones to talk to on something that serious, not people on the internet!
Old 07-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

All depends upon location.

In Kansas, for example, there's no "registration" to be had - if a person mills an 80% lower to complete it, they can build it into a rifle or pistol with no restriction and no registration required.

If you're in a state where you'd have to register a completed 80% lower, then I'd suggest skipping the headache of milling it yourself and just buying a stripped lower. The only real advantage of milling your own 80% - at least perceived as an advantage by some folks - is to have it "off of the books."

So again, where you're located is what really matters.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Location, location, location...