Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
military surplus rifles >

military surplus rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

military surplus rifles

Old 05-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never had a mosin nagant.
Fun as they come and cheap to shoot. The triggers are normally long, creepy, and hard, but there are some easy fixes. It wasn't that the trigger was a bad design, it's that they went through a refurb process in which they slapped on new parts and weren't too worried about precision fit since they were going into storage for World War Three. People who have guns that weren't refurbed say they have smooth, crisp triggers.

The safety takes a little while to get used to, but there is a trick to using it.

A Finnish version, say an M39, will shoot like a target rifle and have a very nice trigger. The Russian guns tend to be more hit and miss since they were slapping parts together.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Pretty piece there Oldtimr!!!

Yes, Very elegant!
Old 05-26-2016, 03:02 AM
Spike

Oldtimr
Thanks for the post.
That's a fine looking rifle.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about the doubts Forkhorn, I did not want to see anyone have a dangerous experience. It sounds like you have a '98 action. That should make a great sporting gun, thousands have been used for that.

Oldtimer, that is a great piece of work on the '98 Mauser. I hope Forkhorn's comes our as well, it is a great looking gun.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jenks
Sorry about the doubts Forkhorn, I did not want to see anyone have a dangerous experience. It sounds like you have a '98 action. That should make a great sporting gun, thousands have been used for that.

Oldtimer, that is a great piece of work on the '98 Mauser. I hope Forkhorn's comes our as well, it is a great looking gun.
I didn't think your post amiss at all. And anybody who wants to keep me from blowing myself to smithereens is good in my book!

Indeed, it's a 98. What I'm trying to do is splice a new foreend tip to the original stock. The stock was broken under the bayonet lug and then somebody then did a really shoddy gluing job. I decided to make try to make it right.

The stock itself is rather battered otherwise, but the barrel and action are in good shape. Worst case scenario is that I can't get the splice right and look for an original replacement. I'd cut the old one down and maybe refinish for a lighter gun.

I must admit, though, oldtimr is giving me ideas....

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 05-26-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:27 PM
Spike

Iam sure you could find a original stock, some were.
I just put a long branch Enfield all back together.
That someone tryed to make a sportster out of it.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by biglever
Iam sure you could find a original stock, some were.
I just put a long branch Enfield all back together.
That someone tryed to make a sportster out of it.
They show up now and then. Not too hard to find.