Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
military surplus rifles >

military surplus rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

military surplus rifles

Old 05-18-2016, 01:56 AM
Spike

Super Hunter
I am looking for what I call ,the center stock band and
Swivel.
The one they sent me is the off set swivel for a #3.
If you have these please pm me. Thanks.
P.s. my first Enfield I got I paid $72.00 fresh out of crate still packed in cosmoline.
I should have bought the whole crate.
I picked up a few from gun parts Inc. Back when they a retail store. I payed $ 79.00 for them.
And by the way they are closeing there parts counter this June 30. Which sucks for me. I drive down there every so often.

Last edited by biglever; 05-18-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may just accidentally have 1 if the boy didn't snag it. It's off an MKII but they are interchangeable. Not at home at the moment but I will look around in the shop tonight in my parts bin and let you know. And what you call it is close. For future reference it's the "Stock Band &swivel, middle"
Old 05-19-2016, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ah yes, the old military rifles. I have several, have not shot any. My only Enfield is a #4 MK2(F) made in 1952. I also prefer Mausers, I have a 1908 7MM made for Brazil and a '96 Swedish in 6.5X55. I have parts to make a Swedish Mauser, bolt,receiver & barrel are new, I need to swap the trigger guard that I have for a stock one. I had a '03 Springfield with a class "C" stock that my son now has. He also has my old Argentine 1911 Colt copy. The good old Mausers are becoming a thing of the past.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Spike

You have to get them out on the range, and enjoy them even more.
Thanks for the post.
And this leads into my next question.
Keeping track of were you left off at the range, the
Last time you shot your what ever?
I think I will start a new post for this.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

My most prized rifle is a 1933 Mauser in 8mm, dad originally sporterized in the 50s. Top production then, several years ago I upgraded it with a new competition firing pin and spring, Timney trigger, low swing safety, mounted a Leupold scope, and put her on a classically lined synthetic stock. Now by far the best shooting gun I own, and took a newfoundland moose with it last year. Nothing new has anything on it.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:55 AM
Spike

Sounds sweet.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did not mention that I had a Winchester made 1918 Enfield that was commercially converted into a sporting rifle a long time ago. It now belongs to one of my sons. It shoots well, I have used it for hunting as well as my sons. It has a Lyman Peep sight and would not easily be identified as an old military rifle.

The 1908 Brazilian Mauser is on a par with the Argentine Mauser, except that it is in 7X57. Those old guns were finished as well as a custom sporting rifle nowdays. The 1896 Swedish Mausers were also very well done. The downside is the very long barrels on those old guns and the heavy stocks. They make wonderful sporting guns if you modify them. I can not bring myself to butcher mine, they will remain as they were made.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I rebuilt a bunch when I was in high school and college, my favorite of which was a '91 Argentine I rebarreled with a Springfield Dual-Groove and chambered to 308win, and sporterized into a Monte-Carlo, new safety lever, and optic mounting blocks. It was a remarkably accurate rifle, albeit still quite heavy for what it was. Luckily for me, I got into it for about $300, and got out of it for $500. I did a couple of Mosin's which were money pits, did a Swedish '96 which lost me money in the end too.

For pleasure shooting at the range, it's pretty hard to beat them, and they do make for a hunt you can really hang onto in the memory bank, but I'm not a Surplus Rifle Guy anymore.

I don't count M1 Garands or M1A's as "surplus rifles," nor AR-15's, but I do spend a lot of my time shooting "military rifles" in the form of M1A's and AR's. Sadly, don't have a Garand any more. Might have to fix that soon...
Old 05-23-2016, 02:43 AM
Spike

Thanks for the post's guys.
I would like a M1 but think they are over priced. So I stick with the bolt action rifles.
That I hunt and shoot on the range.
My cell ph.just wont make my pic.s small enuf to post on here.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry big, I got put in a time out so I haven't been able to get back to you. The only band I have left in the bin is a pretty funky front which looks like it got a little bent up somewhere down the line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.