Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
1/2 inch all day,if i do my part ! >

1/2 inch all day,if i do my part !

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1/2 inch all day,if i do my part !

Old 05-06-2016, 01:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default 1/2 inch all day,if i do my part !

I am talking FACTORY rifles,here.
I see this statement often !
After 55 years of shooting i just don't believe this in a factory rifle. to me ,a factory rifle is like a woman,their mood changes from day to day?
I do not make statements such as this ever " Shoots 1/4 or 1/2 inch all day long !" I ain't seen it happen yet!
Have you ever wished you could call a guy out to shoot,on more than 1 or 2 shooting sessions or more, just to see this happen ? I have only seen one rifle come close to making a dummy out of me and it was a SAKO 6mm ppc.
Do you believe in this ?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Factory rifles, no... 1" "all day" is possible I think.

Custom rifles, yes. Most of mine, "if I do my part" will easily shoot 1/2" "all day"...they are capable of more then I am. My best was 1/4" at 105 yards, I had a good day. Can I do it all the time? NOPE!
Old 05-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

well I will disagree and agree
after selling 17000 plus guns, and shooting countless amounts of riffles at the range
I have seen a few SUPER factory rifles that are like Unicorns, LOL
that just shot unreal small groups, with what ever you stuck in them, freaks of nature I call them

SO, YES there ARE a some out there
BUT overall
I don't think MOST folks could shoot 1/2 inch groups on the best made rifles in the world all day long.

plus I don't think many folks even know HOW to measure groups RIGHT< or have the tool to do so!

being a bench shooter for many many many yrs, you see a LOT of bullcrap and HOW folks view there groups and rifles

even the media today is a bunch of bullcrap throwers, ever watch a TV hunting.gun show and see there groups and then hear what they say they are, or have done

just like when they shoot a small buck and call it MATURE, when you can plainly see its a YOUNG SMALL BUCK!
or when they shoot a deer in DAY light and don't find it till WAY after dark and they say it ONLY Ran 100 yrs, but took 5 hrs to get there LOL
lots of bull crap being passed around folks!!
calling it all out would run you ragged LOL
Old 05-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Remington Model Seven 7mm-08 that will do 1/2 groups all day if "I do my part" also,...
Old 05-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had a Rem. 700BDL in .270 Win that would also consistently shoot 1/2" groups. My load was 54 gr of IMR4350 under a Nosler 130 Ballistic Tip. But like a dumb a$$ I went and sold it to reduce my inventory. Sure wish I had that rifle back! It was a 1970's vintage that came with a hand checkered stock from the factory.
But that wasn't my most accurate rifle. I had a Rem 700BDL with a bull barrel in 7mm-08 that I used for high power silhouette that I shot a 3/8" group at 200 yards (3 times). And I currently have a Savage 7mm-08 in the 11 youth version that has shot 1/4" groups @ 100 on occasion and well under 1" most of the time.
So with the right loads, some factory rifles are capable of shooting right alongside expensive custom jobs. Not all, but some.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your AVERAGE factory rifle of today, I.E. big box brands, are usually capable of 1" groups for the most part. And you will occasionally get one with better than average craftsmanship that will get to 1/2" C-C grouping. Your higher end rifles tend to be put together with much more attention to tolerances therein making for much better performance. I hear/see sometimes people claiming the rifles of today's manufacturing are better than those of the older times. I have to STRONGLY disagree when it comes to rifles made from around the late 1930's to the mid to late 1960's. Back then your rifle makers paid so much more attention to detail and cared much more for the quality of their work to be seen and appreciated by the customers. I have several old rifles from Winchester and Browning that will all EASILY hold to a 1/2"-3/4" group any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

As Jeep pointed out, I also have many rifles with custom barrels, blue printed actions and all that other jazz that will easily hold 1/2" and under.

More often than not, it's not the rifle but what it's being fed. I've had, and still have a few, rifles that wouldn't shoot factory ammo of ANY brand worth diddly but some work at the loading bench brought out a rifle that is unmatched! Had a few that wouldn't even make for good fence posts they shot so bad until a little love at the loading bench cured them.

Then you have scope bases, rings, and the scopes themselves to consider. Cheap scopes, poorly fitted bases and rings are the bane to many shooters and more often than not it's the rifle that gets the blame. Ran in to a fella at a range in PA once that was about to wrap a really nice old model 70 30-06 around the post. I saw him shooting and could pretty much tell it wasn't bad form or flinching causing a shotgun pattern on his 50 yard target. He jumped up and said "first person to hand me a $100 dollar bill can have this fine looking shotgun!" I whipped out a bill and said SOLD but you can keep that Simmons scope. I took the scope off for him and he said "that's nice of you since I really like that scope" I said "you won't when you put it on another rifle and get the same crappy groups" I mounted the scope from my own 30-06 (Nikon Monarch) that I had brought to the range, barrel sighted it (pulled bolt and centered the target down the bore then dialed in the CH's) then proceeded to shoot a one hole 3 shot group at 50 Best $100 bucks I'd spent in a long time! Needless to say the fella was a might pissy but I think he learned a lesson that day
Old 05-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

What are you considering factory? untouched action, trigger, and barrel or completely untouched out of the box rifle. With handloads my savage .270 shoots consistently .500 to .750" with the occasional 5 round group outside of that range, but I have replaced the stock, installed pillars and bedded the action. And that is with handloads. With factory ammo the best I can get on a consistent bases is around 1.250" with a deviation of probably .500" either way.

Many many times I have had buddies claim they had a "tack driver" only to go to the range find 1.500" groups or worse.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Brand/Model?

Cartridge?

I have a Browning BAR .270 win. I think may be belgium made that shoots 1/2" with federal cheap 130gr soft points.

I think there are quite a few factory rifles these days shooting well.
Also I think there are better and more factory cartridge options.

Many rifles guarantee 3 or 5 shots under 1MOA...

Btw you can hunt and kill a lot of game with a rifle that shoots 1.5MOA IMO...

Who was it that was saying 400yds is the new 300yds... but 300 yds is still long range! (to most)...

I bet 90-99% of guys will never kill a game animal past 400...

Last edited by salukipv1; 05-06-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Brand/Model?

Cartridge?

I have a Browning BAR .270 win. I think may be belgium made that shoots 1/2" with federal cheap 130gr soft points.

I think there are quite a few factory rifles these days shooting well.
Also I think there are better and more factory cartridge options.

Many rifles guarantee 3 or 5 shots under 1MOA...

Btw you can hunt and kill a lot of game with a rifle that shoots 1.5MOA IMO...

Who was it that was saying 400yds is the new 300yds... but 300 yds is still long range! (to most)...

I bet 90-99% of guys will never kill a game animal past 400...
Yep I have killed yotes past 400 and once a pig but never attempted a deer or turkey. but I love to ring steel out to 800.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1/2" groups

Originally Posted by mounting man
I am talking FACTORY rifles,here.
I see this statement often !
After 55 years of shooting i just don't believe this in a factory rifle. to me ,a factory rifle is like a woman,their mood changes from day to day?
I do not make statements such as this ever " Shoots 1/4 or 1/2 inch all day long !" I ain't seen it happen yet!
Have you ever wished you could call a guy out to shoot,on more than 1 or 2 shooting sessions or more, just to see this happen ? I have only seen one rifle come close to making a dummy out of me and it was a SAKO 6mm ppc.
Do you believe in this ?

Just because you can't shoot 1/2" doesn't mean everyone can't!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.