Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
1/2 inch all day,if i do my part ! >

1/2 inch all day,if i do my part !

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1/2 inch all day,if i do my part !

Old 05-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never said I can shoot 1/2 groups all day either??
I think most folks fib a little more than they like to admit!
Old 05-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm one of those who can shoot 1/2" all day long, If I shoot all day I'll have at least 2 bullets within 1/2 inch of each other
RR
Old 05-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since snipers have been mentioned along with experience in shooting I am on the verge of contacting several friends to get any answers you may seek. Most information I have gathered over the years points towards the information provided by super above. Might be because most where from the same schooling here on Lejeune as he was.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take RR up there for example. He is being a bit on the modest side as we all know he is one of the better shots on this forum. While most of his rifles are in the "custom" class, I would imagine he probably has more than a couple rifles that are pretty much factory that will more than easily hold less than an inch groups. He is more like me in that respect as he wouldn't be satisfied with anything less to be in his safe! Now granted, todays rifles are always in need of SOMETHING done to make them better. Bedding job, trigger job, action trued, SOMETHING that in the past would have been done at the factory before the customer ever laid hands on the rifle! As I said previously, manufacturers today, even though they have equipment that is light years ahead of what they had in the 30's-60's, just don't come close to QUALITY in their crafts. It's an age of push button manufacturing and while the machines are CAPABLE of good quality cutting and such, the operators just don't give a damn about the end product! A good rifle, to me anyway, is just as much a work of art as it is a tool. And today's artist suck!
Old 05-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't recall the number of rifles I bought that didn't meet up to my standards. Too many IMO. I'm not counting my lever / saddle guns. They were never intended to be tack drivers but more or less meat guns. I will also throw my ARs into this category too because I'm not yet into working with them for utmost accuracy.
Of the handful that did meet my 1.5 MOA or better accuracy I only have 4; A Savage 11 in .223, another in 7-08, a Browning A bolt in 7-08 and a Tikka in 30-06. The only one that need work was the Browning. That needed a bedding job and a good deal of load development to become an MOA rifle.
Either of these rifles will shoot right around MOA all day, every day. The little Savage 7-08 will occasionally put 5 rounds into a ragged hole if conditions and I are in sync. I've done it 3 times with it in the past year or so.

Last edited by bronko22000; 05-07-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree... I have a browning abolt with boss that shoots awesome!!! But 1/2" all day long... no it won't... I've shot 5 shot group that you could cover with a nickel with Winchester power point ammo... Last time I shot it I was lucky to shoot a sub MOA ... But in my defense when I shoot the 5 shot group I was shooting off a solid quality shooting bench... The other range session were off my patio table in back yard lol
Old 05-08-2016, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my safe are I think 43 rifles, another 17 are tucked away at my moms house, of those 2 of those, there is 1 full house turn key custom, and 1 built from an unfired rifle purchased for a donor action. of those that remain 3 will shoot sub 1/2 moa groups as they came outta the box, 2 will do it with factory ammo the third needs handloads to get it done. only 1 is a bolt action, and its a rimfire, a savage 17 hmr, the other 2 are an AR15 and a ruger #1
I have never got a factory Remington 700 to do it, but with a handful of 100 dollar bills and a good smith they can do much better than 1/2 moa. my old LH rem. 788 6mm took a new stock, pillared and glassed to handily make 1/2" others required a new barrel, some have been totally rebuilt. I have saw a few other factory rifles that would do it, but they are not by any means common.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 05-08-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Geez RR I though I was bad with somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 rifles!
And I thought we were only talking CFs here. I have a Savage 17HMR too that is fun to shoot. Seems like that thing doesn't miss. I took it squirrel hunting and it was just too easy. I started taking only head shots. And even then, off a solid log rest, 75 yards was not a problem. I've also taken 2 turkey with it. I love that little rifle.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

maybe its just my luck, wanted to emphasize that my only bolt action that shot 1/2 moa out of the box was a rimfire, I have an ancient rem. 600 that comes close but won't do it all day long, nor every day for that matter, maybe its my poor marksmanship. however my heavy custom hunting rigs can blow your mind, they will do 1/2 moa quite easily to 500 yards and beyond, some of them way beyond.
RR
Old 05-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had one Rem in my life that shot 1moa right out of the gate brand spanking new. If memory serves it was right at .850 on a 5 shot run. Had a few Win's that were superior rifles right out of the box from the the very early 60's. Even have 1 Marlin lever gun 30-30 that will hold just a tick under 1moa as long as I take my time after the first 2 shots. She strings a good bit heating up fairly quick. But I also know that rifle well enough to compensate pretty darn well for it's vertical string and adjusting my aim.

As far as AR's go, there are SOOOOOOOO many companies out there now slapping parts together it is dang near funny. But there are a few you can go to to have one built that will fix you up with a dang NICE shooting rig. My 6.8SPC will easily hold between .550-.750 as long as I aint trying to speed demon the trigger. Now my .458 SOCOM while it isn't a serious tack driving machine, it will hold between 1.0-1.5 which all in all is pretty dang sporty for what it is. Then we come to my little gem 7mm-08 AR10 that will consistently print one small ragged hole at 100 yards again as long as I don't try breaking any speed records on trigger time. Now my new .338fed AR that NoMercy helped me acquire I haven't had the chance really to put through any serious loading and testing so far but what little I have fired it, it seems to be a pretty dang good rifle. Another one ragged holer.

Now, like RR, I haven't bought more than 2 or 3 boxes of factory ammo in 45+ years for rifles. I learned WAY early on that factory ammo has the consistency of a 3 year old little boy. Everywhere you DON'T want it to be is exactly where it will be! So many factory rifles, while they might not shoot worth a tinkers dam with factory ammo, might just jump up and surprise you with some tender loving at the reloading bench! You also need to learn the "personality" of your rifles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.