Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Finally Got One of My Bucket Lister's! >

Finally Got One of My Bucket Lister's!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Finally Got One of My Bucket Lister's!

Old 04-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Finally Got One of My Bucket Lister's!

After long searching, and looking at a lots of overpriced junkers, I finally found one of my bucket list guns! It is a Savage 99 in .300 Savage caliber. I'm still researching the actual model, I'm thinking it is probably a 99R. It's in very good shape, no rust, I'd say 90+% condition.
Also, as a bonus it came with a Weaver K4 scope, with the post reticle, made in El Paso Texas! Can't wait to start shooting and reloading for it! (I'm not one for wall hangers! It will be shot!)

Now the search continues for a good Remington Mohawk in 6MM Rem.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You, sir, have gained a premier deer rifle and I love that post and crosshair reticle from the 50's-60's. I have been collecting older Weaver's with the post reticle. Love them for timber hunting at modest ranges.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks 8MM/06! I see by your screen name that you too have an affection for non-mainstream cartridges!
Old 04-18-2016, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do enjoy all the calibers that are out there, and maybe some that haven't even become mainstream yet. Grandfather was a gunsmith and made a good living in the 50's and 60's sporterizing military rifles. Mauser 98's, Swede 96's and 38's, and the list was long.

I was handed down a Savage 99 from my father-in-law years ago. It's a take-down beauty in .300 savage, circa 1926 I believe. I has no scope and never will cuz just can't drill and tap it .. it's too pretty to touch. Wears a nice Redfield receiver peep that works just fine out to about 200 yards if you 've got the eyes. Unfortunately for me, my eyes can only use it well enough to hunt out to maybe 75-85 yards, so it's going to the young kid, my 33 yr old son soon, to continue it's journey through the years.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

A couple years back I picked up a 1940's model 99 in .300sav. Took a doe with it two years ago and carried it a lot last year but didn't end up taking anything with it. Mine was never drilled for a scope, so I shoot it open sight. Carries like a dream, and shoots really well also. I think it's probably replaced my marlin .30-30, which was my go to open sight gun, for the next several years at least.
-Jake
Old 04-26-2016, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
A couple years back I picked up a 1940's model 99 in .300sav. Took a doe with it two years ago and carried it a lot last year but didn't end up taking anything with it. Mine was never drilled for a scope, so I shoot it open sight. Carries like a dream, and shoots really well also. I think it's probably replaced my marlin .30-30, which was my go to open sight gun, for the next several years at least.
-Jake
Boc, I have been too busy the last few days to check out the Weaver 4K, that came with my gun. If it turns out to be a good scope, I doubt that I will ever change it out for a "modern" scope!
I would love to find a similar Savage 99 in .250/3000 caliber just for the extra range that the .250/3000 has.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sweet. I had one in 243 Win once and in a fit of extreme stupidity I sold it to a guy I worked with that wanted to start deer and was struggling for cash hunting for $150. Not one of my better decisions. I'd love to have one of these in 250 Savage but haven't found one at a decent price anywhere.