Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.357Sig or .40S&W short barrel? >

.357Sig or .40S&W short barrel?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.357Sig or .40S&W short barrel?

Old 02-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .357Sig or .40S&W short barrel?

I'm looking to add another sub-compact, thinking about higher density social carry (my kid's getting older, I'm going to be spending more time in crowded places).

I'm kinda looking for an excuse to get another .357 Sig, but as most folks know about me - I like big diameter bullets, so I'm also thinking about another straight 40 also.

Planning on a 3-3.5" model, so I'll give up a bit of velocity over a mid or full size. As I've been playing with necked down pistol and revolver cartridges, I'm seeing more and more that the extra pressure in a bottleneck has its advantages too.

Both are "right answers," but figured I'd shake the trees and see what falls out - anybody been using a sub-compact .357Sig or 40?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

I've used a Glock 27 sub compact in .40 as a duty backup pistol in a BUG holster sowed on a a BP vest. It shoots fairly well but you lose some precision due to the shorter sight radius. The shorter height means the bottom of the mag is still on the palm of your hand instead of below it. If you're just using it as point and shoot or shorter range where you shoot just over your sights at 15 yards or less, it's pretty effective. If you're shooting past 15 yards, you notice an extra half second or so to aim for precision shooting.
I've also carried it CCW in a gun bag and the bag almost dwarfs the pistol.

I haven't shot a .357 SIG so can't comment on it. I've noticed the .40 is a little hotter than a 9mm but it's really not that bad. Currently, I'm carrying a compact .45 (G30SF) which is compact but points and shoots well. It's not a sub-compact but isn't much bigger than one and it's a bigger bullet.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't mention the laundry list of pistols we have, but I do have a few other Glocks, Full and compact, and a 43 super-mini, among several others - but I don't yet have a sub-compact.

I'm looking to bridge the gap between a mid-sized 45 and a pocket pistol 380 or 9mm. The 6.5"x4.5" with 3-3.5" barrel sub-compact is where I'm looking. I thought about the 45acp G30, but kinda changed gears to the higher capacity, flatter shooting 40 & 357.

I MAY be looking for a good excuse to get a Sig P224 also... But a P320 .45acp wouldn't break my heart either...

I have a full size 357Sig, wouldn't mind having a sub-compact to go with it, so I'm weighing out the consequence of the lighter 357sig against a 40S&W.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is what I carry most times, with the extended magazine it fits my hand just right. I also put a set of Crimson Trace grips on it for low light. You can find much better prices than the one listed.

https://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-MK40.asp
Old 02-05-2016, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

You can get the Kahr CM40 for half-the-price of the linked P40 in the post above.

The Kahr CW380 was my 2nd choice when I purchased my new Ruger CLP380 last week.

Popularity of 40s has waned, since the advent of conceal carries. The Kahr CM45 has less felt recoil than the CM40. When dealing with hand-sized guns, people aren't stupid and have adapted to what's more controllable in their hands.

It's nice to say you closed the bridge with your own personal lineup of at-home pistols. But why buy something that you really don't need and uncomfortable to shoot?

Want a nice horsepowered sub-compact? The 9mm is enough (sure you already have that) and the 45 is more-than-enough. The 40s are dying and it's understandable why. Plus, the home/gun owner with multiple guns (40 included) may not kill the 40 by selling it, but in most cases it collects dust and hardly used.

I sold five muzzleloader rifles a year ago. Why?....... hardly used and no need to have more than just a few. The most days I can hunt in muzzleloader season is three consecutive. So I keep three in my gun safe, not eight like I used to own. I'll shoot a different one every morning for those three days and the gun gets used..... as it should.

Do I need one of every style of ML to close a bridge? I hardly ever used that bridge - didn't even need any stinkin' bridge, so I decided one day to burn the bridge down.

Done with this. No need to reply to me.... I won't be reading it. Once you convince yourself you need that bridge, then there's no reason for me to come back here and try to talk you out of it.

But please have a good answer for yourself, on why you need such a big bridge. If you don't have the proper answer to your inner-self, then you don't really need that bridge.

And please, don;t use the adage a civil war might occur and I need all the guns I can get.
If that's how you feel, then why are you here seeking help to begin with?

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 02-05-2016 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I doubt he was seeking help, he probably has more experience with handguns than you do. He ask if anyone had experience with the the .357 Sig or a small .40, not recommendations on other calibers or a letcture about how many guns he should own, nor does he owe you a what you think would be a good answer. I have experience with both, I carried a Glock .357 Sig as a duty weapon on a duty belt and I have carried the Kahr in my post for a long time concealed. I like it, I still qualify with it yearly back to 25 yards. It is good concealed carry handgun. Both the .357 Sig and the .40 S&W great calibers and certainly better than a .380. There was a need to respond to that nonsensical rant.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Talk about someone going completely off on a tangent/rant compared to what the OP started!
Old 02-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sort of expected the Kahr's to come up - I do have a PM40, great pistol. I've been carrying a P938 a bit more lately, getting spoiled by single action triggers, but I can't bring myself to accept manual safeties - it just doesn't fit my mentality for SD pistols. Getting into something with a DA/SA will be an advantage for my mental comfort.

So I HAVE shot the short 40 quite a bit, but not a short .357Sig.

I suppose to the point of "bridging gaps," well, frankly, if I sold off until I only had left the guns I NEED, I'd be able to buy a d@mn nice sports car after selling all of the guns I HAVE. I'm not to worried about spending another $1,000 on another pistol and kit.

Really just trying to decide whether I prefer to have my 500ft.lbs. KE in the form of a 147grn at 1250fps or a 180grn at 1150fps... I reload for both already, brass supply is the same for both too... I'm a "big and heavy" bullet guy, but this one kinda has me on the fence - kinda like how I'd rather have a .357mag than a .44spcl snubby, I'm leaning towards the .357Sig over the 40S&W, despite it's smaller, lighter bullet.

And for guys who don't know me, I suppose I should have mentioned, recoil won't be an issue. Either cartridge in a sub-compact will have less recoil energy than a .357mag steel snubby, let alone a 357mag LCR I carry around, or any of the 44mag, 454C, or .475Line revolvers with which I hunt. The PM40 and my wife's SR40c are pop guns compared to the rimmed handgun cartridges I run.

And also for guys who don't know me, I'm not a zombie apocalypse, SHTF, mall-ninja, prepper, tacticool, conspiracy theorist type. "I'm just a peckerwood that lives in the hills with too many guns..." - 'cept I don't have any hills...

But I AM in the market for a DA/SA, subcompact 357sig or 40S&W with the interest of carrying in larger crowds where my EDC Ruger LCP380 might be wanting for range and power, and I'm trying to decide which cartridge I favor...
Old 02-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

I've always thought the short answer for that bridge issue is because I want one.

You mentioned a "43 super mini." Are you talking about the Glock 43 in 9mm? If so, how does it shoot, CCW, etc.? I still need to go by a gun store and look at one.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

I like the .357sig. Don't have one, but hope to someday. I have shot it though. That's the way I'd be leaning. Not because either one is the "right choice" I don't think you can mess up this decision really
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.