Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Anyone Packing while they're Fishing? >

Anyone Packing while they're Fishing?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone Packing while they're Fishing?

Old 03-19-2016, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by idahoron
I pack at all times.
When I get to where I am camping and fishing I normally open carry. I walk to where other guys are fishing if some are there. I walk up and kindly ask how the fishing is and be as friendly as I ca be. But the underlying reason I visit is to let them know I am not a target. Just a guy there to fish, and I have a gun.

Last year I went to a place to launch my pontoon boat. When I got there a SUV was blocking the spot to launch my boat. I backed as close to the water as I could and proceed to launch. It was about 6:00 am and I was a little later than I wanted to be. They had three Sturgeon poles in the water and no one was out and about. Soon a big tweeker looking guy comes out of the SUV followed by a blond, BEHOOCH. She was mouthy and was yelling at me. The dude was starting to amp up his tough guy act when I took off my jacket and put on my fishing shirt. That act exposed my 45 auto. I explained to them both that leaving poles unattended was against the law. Camping in the area was prohibited. Blocking a boat ramp was also prohibited. The guy instantly saw the gun and his macho attitude was shut down. I told them my name and I told them if they felt that I had broken any laws I encouraged them to report it to the Fish and Game along with the sheriffs office. At that point I would file my report along with pictures and their licence plate.
The BEHOOCH was still screaming at me and the Tweaker dude turned to her and told her to shut the F, up. I was pissed and amped up but I tried to be calm, I was in trouble. I knew that if I got visibly angry it wold make matters worse. So I finished getting ready to go and got in my boat and left.

All day I was worried about them robbing my truck or vandalizing it. I couldn't enjoy my fishing trip. The pistol no doubt saved me from an A$$ whippin or worse. I should have turned them in for the violations but I didn't. I didn't fish there as much last year as I wanted. I guess I was worried I would bump into them again. I hate stuff like that.
Sorry I missed this earlier. It sounds like one or both of them were tweaking. That's when you want a cell phone or satellite phone to let local LE know where to pick them up. I used to absolutely love those kinds of calls when I was working Patrol because that often led to a good arrest with other charges besides just being under the influence of drugs. It also saved me from having to investigate other problems with the same people, such as theft from vehicles, assaults, etc. Plus, when you tow a tweaker's vehicle, a lot of the time they don't have the money to get it back and you cut down on their mobility and crime spree(s).
Old 04-26-2016, 05:40 AM
Spike

In urban areas where I won't be shooting anything I carry a Colt Cobra snubby and otherwise I carry a Smith&Wesson 422. Both very light and handy.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't carry when out on the water, may in the future but have never needed it or felt like I would and it would only take up room on my boat......yes, I need a bigger boat.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, and I also carry when buying groceries. That is what the license to carry is for. There is no way to know what you will run into or where you will run into it.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Always better to carry and NOT need it than to NOT carry and NEED it! When I get dressed my sidearm is part of my clothing package. No exceptions. If a store or building is marked "No Firearms Allowed" then my big rear doesn't go there. I simply don't leave my home unarmed. Fishing, hunting, shopping, or just checking my mail at the end of my driveway, one of my "little buddies" is either in my pocket or somewhere on my person.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

Any time I leave the house I am carrying.... Doesn't matter whether I walk to the mail box or out fishing 30 miles off shore... And at night I have a Glock 19 and an AR by the bed.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm usually carrying my smaller Glock .380 with Me,even when out Coyote Hunting,Fishing or especially when Camping in Remote Areas....as mentioned it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!In today's World it's nice to have the assurance of having some Protection/Safety when going out Hunting or in the General Public where You never know what kind of Situation may arise?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

I always carry, especially when fishing. I had a run-in kind of similar to idahoron's at the local lake. I was using a remote/seldom used boat ramp one day. When we called it quits and went to trailer the boat, there was a few trailer trash-looking bums blocking the boat ramp with lawn chairs and catfish rigs. I gave them a wide berth and plenty of time to move their crap out of the way, but they didn't budge. Usually, I leave everything on the boat, trailer it, then throw stuff into the truck later. I was trying to be polite, so I even took the time to dock the boat, haul stuff up the stairs to the truck before backing down to the ramp...and they still hadn't moved. When I asked them to move, so we could trailer the boat and leave, they started getting belligerent about having to bring in their lines and move their chairs, coolers, etc. My buddy has much less patience than I do, when it comes to rude people, so he intentionally exposed his firearm while changing his shirt, before telling them to get the &$#! out of the way. They moved. It's certainly not how I would have liked to see it play out, but it worked. I guess the bottom line is that you never really know when you're going to run into an unsavory element. I feel its better to just stay prepared. On a more fun note, we stopped by another boat ramp on our way home to meet a couple friends and swap fishing stories and the local game warden happened to be there checking fishing licenses. We sent him over to the ramp we were just at, so he could check those bums' licenses and make sure they picked up all the trash they had thrown in the weeds by the ramp. I wish I could have seen the looks on their faces when the CPO's truck pulled in the lot...
Old 05-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

just like RR said. If I am up, Im strapped. If Im in bed, I have enuf within arms reach to fend off a gaggle of stupidity quickly.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

When I get dressed in the morning the .357 goes in my hip pocket and there it stays all day, every day and at night it goes on the table beside my bed. It is my constant companion, about the only place I wont carry it into is a police station or a courthouse, which I have no reason to go into anyway. If you are going to carry be committed to it, I thought that was the whole point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.