Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Concealed Carry Gun? >

Concealed Carry Gun?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Concealed Carry Gun?

Old 01-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone have a Glock 30? What do you think? I want to fondle one and see how it fits in my hand.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

S&W Shield 9MM
Old 01-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Anyone have a Glock 30? What do you think? I want to fondle one and see how it fits in my hand.
I carry the G30 SF on duty in a Safariland M-3 level 2 holster and off duty in a gun bag made by Anderson Enterprises. It conceals well and shoots almost as good as a full size pistol. With the full size pistol, you get a little longer sight radius for more precise aiming. It has 10-round magazines so I can carry 11 with 1 in the chamber without carrying an extra mag. I like it.

Prior to carrying the G30SF, I carried a G23 (.40, 13 round mag) and a full size G22 (.40, 15 round mag).

I suppose a lot depends on how you plan to carry CCW and what types of shooting situations you might be in. If I need to carry something concealed in a front slacks pocket, it's my Walther PPK/S in 380. Not my 1st or even 2nd choice in caliber for terminal ballistics but that's the kind of gun for max concealment and a shot or 2 to back somebody off so you can evacuate from the situation.

If I can conceal a pistol in a gun bag, I can use any of the compacts or full size pistols in a major size caliber (45, 40 or 9). Kind of the same if I'm concealing a belt holster under a jacket or thicker shirt untucked.

If I could find a 9mm with the same overall size as the Walther and with a smooth trigger, I think that would be my go to CCW for shorts, dress occasions, etc. That's why I'm curious to see how a G43 feels and prints under clothes.

If I were concerned about higher chances of being in a gunfight, I'd take the G22 full size in .40 every time (it's already saved me once). These are just my personal experiences but hopefully they get you thinking more about what you need and what would meet that need best for you specifically.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you Calhunter. I appreciate the info.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

its a little out of left field but there at one time i briefly owned a taurus mil pro pt, and i have to say it was a heck of a gun if you want a compact 45. I probably put 100 rounds thru it and it ran like a champ, seems like it held maybe 10 plus one. In the end it was just a little more gun than i wanted to carry and i traded it away but it might be worth a look. I know people either hate or love taurus's and ive had both good and bad experiences with them
Old 01-26-2016, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

S&W Shield 9mm in a G-code Incog holster appendix style
Old 01-28-2016, 03:04 AM
Typical Buck

Size due to ease of concealment is important to me. Live in Florida where sneakers, shorts and tee shirts are the norm. Larger guns are harder to conceal with this dress plus, I prefer lite and small guns. I Carry a sw 642 hammerless featherwt and a keltec pt3a. Seems the keltec,s have fallen out of favor. I got when it was the only really small option, yrs ago. Loved the g42 I shot and carried in Texas.

Last edited by tealboy; 01-28-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

I finally found the Ruger CLP .380 online and in stock. Kentucky Gun Co had them this morning for $209. Should arrive to my FFL guy in a week or two.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glock 27 and sometimes the M&P Shield in 9mm. Had a Glock 43 for a while and found I could carry the G27 nearly as easy and I shoot the G27 more accurately.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

My Taurus PT111 G2 has never even hiccuped yet - it's highly accurate and worn on my hip. After rebate,. I paid $149 brand new and it has the highest consumer rating of all the Taurus models right now. No break-in period required with this compact. Even dependable right out of the new cardboard shipping box.

The Ruger LCP has not arrived yet and it will be my front pocket carry, most likely my main carry during Michigan's May 1st to October 1st warmer months seasons.

Both of these 4star-rated handguns cost me $358 total. Perfect for my acclimation into conceal-carry M.O.
Who knows!..... I may never need to upgrade someday.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 01-31-2016 at 05:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.