Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
gun guys....no mercy, jeepkid etc >

gun guys....no mercy, jeepkid etc

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun guys....no mercy, jeepkid etc

Old 01-15-2016, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

I guess I didn't know it was fluted, that explains the cost.

debate or not I still cannot understand why Cut rifling is taking the wrap for the poor penetration on game. I know a lot of guys that use cut rifled barrels with great success on game using Berger bullets. Have you witnessed bullets spinning too fast and basically exploding within 50 yards or so after it leaves the barrel. You may be spinning that particular bullet too fast. I've seen it happen multiple times with many different calibers.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think the bullet is spinning too fast. I do believe too much velocity on impact and a thinner jacket where the rifling scores the bullet too deep are a combination of seperation. My new Pac Nor 30" absolutely loves the Berger. Yet to shoot a big game animal with it we shall see. But then Ridge that 7mm is smoking them out there.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
I guess I didn't know it was fluted, that explains the cost.

debate or not I still cannot understand why Cut rifling is taking the wrap for the poor penetration on game. I know a lot of guys that use cut rifled barrels with great success on game using Berger bullets. Have you witnessed bullets spinning too fast and basically exploding within 50 yards or so after it leaves the barrel. You may be spinning that particular bullet too fast. I've seen it happen multiple times with many different calibers.
what else could it be? the box has it clearly written on it For 1 in 8 twist or faster so its not spinning too fast. and the orange and yellow box 140 bergers shoot like this

that's a 3 shot group at a lazered 752 yards, that's what I was trying to avoid, its a problem I already fixed by talking to brian, I get the same performance with a bit thicker jacket, it is something about the barrel, its not running too fast (3180 fps) so its not velocity, its not spin, I don't know and neither does anyone else. and long as its shooting good I will make the most of it.
RR
Old 01-15-2016, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
I don't think the bullet is spinning too fast. I do believe too much velocity on impact and a thinner jacket where the rifling scores the bullet too deep are a combination of seperation. My new Pac Nor 30" absolutely loves the Berger. Yet to shoot a big game animal with it we shall see. But then Ridge that 7mm is smoking them out there.
that's the intension of this thread, if my 6.5 barrel does this at 3180 fps with a cut rifled 8 twist barrel, what will the big 7 do with a 9 twist cut rifled barrel running a 180 at 3400? reckon I'll just pay my money and take my chances
RR
Old 01-15-2016, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

RR, like I previously stated, this isn't meant as argument, just trying to figure out your problem. My thinking is that particular barrel may have been cut just a tad too deep on the grooves. Not necessarily being "cut rifled" being the culprit but the depth control on that particular barrel itself. Slug that barrel and caliper your groove depth and give those numbers to Brian. I'd just about bet he will agree with my thoughts. I know a few guys with Lija barrels and they all say they are a tad bit on the tight side so if you combine a tight bore (lands) with a thou or 2 too deep on the grooves then you are going to end up with a blown bullet on entry with those thin jacketed Bergers at any real speed. I will say, the guys I know with Lija barrels don't use them for hunting. They are bench rest guns so I have no first hand knowledge of how they perform in the hunting field with hunting bullets. Just match style bullets.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

I looked at a side cut view of a berger VLD hunting bullet. It is made to expand. The front half of that bullet at higher velocities is going to come off. It looks thick enough on the baring surface that the scoring wouldn't be an issue, but at high velocities it may cause more like 60-70% retention loss. Stay behind the shoulder as most hunters should do anyway.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

bergers theory on the bullet design is... they penetrate 2" then expand very violently they shouldn't ever exit, expending all their energy on the impact resulting in a higher percentage of DRT kills
I do get an exit on occasion with the yellow box match bullets if they meet little resistance (off the shoulder lung shots)
RR