Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
gun guys....no mercy, jeepkid etc >

gun guys....no mercy, jeepkid etc

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun guys....no mercy, jeepkid etc

Old 01-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
The current barrel, a 9 twist lilja always put the cold bore shot 1/4 moa above the next 2, is that normal?
RR
I've never heard of that???

anybody heard anything bad about rock creek? only review I ever saw on them said they shot just as well hot as they did cold
RR
Nothing bad about Rock Creek. They used to be (maybe still are) the liners for ABS/Proof barrels.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rock Creek used to be cut rifling, are they not any more? Bartlein & Brux too.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

well guys I'm looking at running 1 of 2 bullets in this thing, either the 180 berger, or the I think 195? LR accubond, I have 1 box of 200 gr wildcats, but with no forseeable way to aquire more they are out. now my 8 twist kreiger in my gibbs renders the berger hunting bullets unusable so all I can tell you is the fast twist and cut rifling of the kreiger is not suitable for the berger hunting bullets, geys with other 8 twist barrels get excellent results with bergers, 9 twist cut rifled barrels get excellent results, I cripple everything with my gibbs due to almost no penetration, they leave a 1" deep splash even on a onside front leg foreward pretty sunday shot. so I am leery of cut rifling.
reckon I'll lean back towards Lilja
RR
Old 01-11-2016, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

well guys I'm looking at running 1 of 2 bullets in this thing, either the 180 berger, or the I think 195? LR accubond, I have 1 box of 200 gr wildcats, but with no forseeable way to aquire more they are out. now my 8 twist kreiger in my gibbs renders the berger hunting bullets unusable so all I can tell you is the fast twist and cut rifling of the kreiger is not suitable for the berger hunting bullets, geys with other 8 twist barrels get excellent results with bergers, 9 twist cut rifled barrels get excellent results, I cripple everything with my gibbs due to almost no penetration, they leave a 1" deep splash even on a onside front leg foreward pretty sunday shot. so I am leery of cut rifling.
reckon I'll lean back towards Lilja
RR
The 175gr ABLR is the biggest they make I believe?

They have a 195gr Berger now. It would be sweet in your AM!

I have about 300 of the 200gr Wildcats and another couple hundred Matrix.

If you liked the Lilja then there's definitely nothing wrong with going with another. I'd just check lead times, I get too impatient, no way I would wait 14 months for a barrel from anyone.

You can also check out Pac-Nor, I forgot about them, my 6.5x284 had one and it was a very nice barrel. Buttoned too.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been following this thread and have a question. How is it that your cut rifled barrels are harder on your Berger bullets? If the dimensions are correct then you shouldn't be experiencing any differences. I do know Lija barrels tend to be on the "tighter" side yet you have no problem with your Lija barrel degrading your Bergers? Like Mercy, I am a huge Shilen supporter and have been for a lot of years now.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good is still good - Right ??

Pick the one you like.................... it's your money !!!
Old 01-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

rock creek has a contour listed that is the correct muzzle diameter that I could reuse my existing brake, as does hawk hill, but hawk isn't taking custom orders till further notice, brux doesn't
a lilja blank will run 505.00 for the same barrel that's on it now.
RR
Old 01-12-2016, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

rock creek has a contour listed that is the correct muzzle diameter that I could reuse my existing brake, as does hawk hill, but hawk isn't taking custom orders till further notice, brux doesn't
a lilja blank will run 505.00 for the same barrel that's on it now.
RR
Call up Pac-Nor
Old 01-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

forgot about chris, may get hold of him
RR

edit, just done the math, a barrel from chris is..........505.00 for the blank, boy this **** is expensive!

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 01-12-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kirby told me when I first started dealing with him, I'll put any barrel on your rifle you want, but I strongly recommend hart, lilja, kreiger, rock creek, broughton, and later added Lawton to the list, barney Lawton passed away and his company went with him
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.