Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Recoil ranking >

Recoil ranking

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil ranking

Old 11-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
Shot a turkey with a single shot 16 guage (personally I think this kicks more than my .30-06)

That's right !!!

Have her shoot her 20 gauge with some heavy loads, and then tell her that any of the rifle calibers "you" are considering have less recoil (given that she uses lighter grain bullets).
Old 11-18-2015, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Of the cartridges you selected the recoil from softest to hardest all else being equal would be:
.30-06
7mm Rem Mag
For the game you plan on hunting any will do the job. But having all but the 7 mag I've used the .270 a lot over the years for the game you mentioned it performed flawlessly with 130 gr bullets taking game from in my lap to well out past the 400 yard mark.
But like some of the other posters have said the 7-08 is a remarkable little cartridge that is relatively mild recoiling and hard hitting.

Last edited by bronko22000; 11-18-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
I know, hard question "which kicks more", so let me try this.

I am getting a rifle for my wife, the goal is to use this for the next 10+ years all across north America hunting, we have "dreams" to hunt whitetail, mule, antelope, elk.

By far the most use will be NH whitetails, so 100 yards is a long shot, but we want it to be suitable for up to elk out west.

I have a post elsewhere on the specific rifle, ignoring caliber, so now flip question.

Given the same gun, which fits her, can anyone rank the recoil of several suitable calibers (also, are the below suitable for deer to elk, also any others)

.30-06
7mm Mag

We don't reload so off the shelf bullet selection is important.

I carry a .30-06 and have no issue with having a second one in the house, but not opposed to other calibers as well.

Thanks
A different path to consider might be to find a rifle that your wife likes in .243W. That caliber would work well for everything but elk and have a LOT less recoil. When you guys go for that elk hunt every 10 years or whenever, she could borrow your 30-06 or get another rifle in one of your original calibers for hunting elk. I know an extra rifle in your gun safe is a burden but you should be willing to take that burden on, especially for your wife.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

BTW - Here's the recoil table....................

http://www.twoamendments.com/post/ri...table-sortable
Old 11-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I first read the post, I wanted to shout out 7MM-08 Remington at the top of my voice.

25-06 would be great, too.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Well I read the thread and thought "this looks like a job for a 7mm-08." But looks like everyone beat me to it.
-Jake
Old 11-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by CalHunter
A different path to consider might be to find a rifle that your wife likes in .243W. That caliber would work well for everything but elk and have a LOT less recoil. When you guys go for that elk hunt every 10 years or whenever, she could borrow your 30-06 or get another rifle in one of your original calibers for hunting elk. I know an extra rifle in your gun safe is a burden but you should be willing to take that burden on, especially for your wife.
Very sound advice!!!!! Look into this.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

I would try to let her shoot different rifles to see how stock fit suits her. I had a Savage and a Tikka in 270 that felt like they kicked more than the Browning 7 Mag I shoot. I also don't like Sako stocks. For me, Remington, Browning and Weatherby stocks are comfortable to shoot. It might be different for her. I have a Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle that is not unpleasant (to me) with 180 gr. bullets.

I like the 7mm-08, but I also have become partial to the 6.5 Creedmoor.